From:
Margaret Bickmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:47:31 -0700
All the news articles leave out the most important point, imo: Facebook
*says* that this is about visible nipples and/or areolae, but they have
been censoring breastfeeding photos in which nipples and areolae are not
showing.

Judging from these cases, it seems that the fact that breastfeeding is
depicted at all is considered offensive.

I would guess that the average person probably agrees with facebook's
stated policy, and thinks that if you violate the site's user agreement
then you shouldn't be surprised if your photo is pulled.  The news
articles need to say that ALL kinds of breastfeeding photos have been
censored, not just ones with visible nipples/areolae that technically
violate the policy.

It does appear to me that facebook has been following its own policy more
strictly since the "hey facebook, breastfeeding is not obscene" event.  It
seems that they are leaving alone breastfeeding photos that don't show
nipples/areolae, while removing those that do.  I suppose that's an
improvement of sorts.  However it doesn't fix the fact that they've
wronged a lot of mothers and the policy itself is misguided.

Margaret
Longmont, CO