Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 2009 15:08:05 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (63 lines)
But - just to be "devil's advocate" - if we treated lack of milk supply as a serious issue that needs all the full force of  investigation and treatment that we apply to - say - erectile dysfunction - rather than patting women on the back and saying formula is almost as good and your baby will be fine because I was formula fed and I am OBVIOUSLY just fine - should we not be able to discuss all options for moms, if we are truly lactation consultants and not just breastfeeding cheerleaders? 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of stillberatung bremen
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: LACTNET Digest - 2 Jul 2009 to 3 Jul 2009 - Special issue (#2009-662)

hi all,

2009/7/3  <[log in to unmask]>:
> Jake said:
>
> Domperidone is not approved for any use in the U.S.   Manufacture
> (including by a compounding pharmacist) is illegal. Importation  via 
> an Internet pharmacy (from Canada, for example) is also  illegal.>>
>
> ********************************************************
> Domperidone is  made in the US and used in veterinary medicine.  
> Physicians have also used  it for specific stomach ailments.  
> Compounding pharmacies can make it as  long as it is prescribed by a physician.
>
> Saying something  is illegal isn't the same, as far as I know (but I'm 
> not a JD, so Jake, feel  free to correct me) as having an actual LAW 
> on the books prohibiting  something.  Just because the FDA hasn't 
> approved domperidone for use in  breastfeeding mothers to increase milk supply (an "off label"
> use, if you will)  doesn't mean it can't be made and prescribed for 
> other purposes.

it _is_ an off-label-use, also in other countries, like here in germany. i have it at home because my doctor prescribed it for my colitis problems, have never used it though.

women sometimes ask me about domperidone (as well as oxytocine spray) for "making more milk" but i'd never suggest the use of these medications, for two reasons:
1. i am not a doctor. i am not a pharmacologist. i am simply put not the right person to ask about these things.
2. and this is more important:
lactation isn't a sickness and does not need to be treated with pills, sprays or other medications.
the cases were these medications might be useful are very rare (domperidone in the context of relactation, for example). if the woman has certain medical problems like with her thyroid gland, these problems need to be treated anyway.
i'd even say the use of homoeopathic medicine (at least here in germany, where almost every midwife uses them) should be restricted (not by law, but by reason: a healthy woman need no pills and also no globuli).

but these are my personal opinions and most of the time i'd just suggest that the woman asks our "medizinischer beirat" (the medical staff in afs) and suggest other ways to boost the milk supply, like getting rid of dummies, bf'ing more often, getting rest, eating healthy and the like.

nina
--
The newborn who cries is saying: "I need something; something is not right here. Please make it right."
-Dr Sears-

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2