Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:09:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hi Marla,  I breast fed my twins, who are now 26, so that was many moons ago.  ha.  But, 
even though I was a Nurse, then, I was not Lactation Certified at the time, of course, but 
with the help that I did receive in the hospital, I was able to get started, and did have all 
sorts of problems in the beginning.  I remember priding myself, though, that I never used 
any formula.  Nursed 3 weeks using breast shields, kept practicing taking them off, and 
finally, at 3 weeks, was able to latch them, and continued to breast feed for 6 months.  I 
did nurse a lot in while in bed, side lying, nursing one after the other. (Exhaustion, but high 
determination, I would say),  I would get two 1 1/2 hour slots of sleep at night, then it 
would be morning again.  So, I know that I fell asleep A LOT, while breast feeding, I would 
jump up out of bed, suddenly, and say Where's the baby??!!  And my husband would say, I 
already put her back to bed, go to sleep!  ha  Sometimes, it would be 3 o'clock in the 
afternoon, I would still have my robe on, and still had not had my cup of coffee.  ha  I did 
try nursing both at the same time, in the early days, but never felt comfortable enough 
doing it that way.  It would have saved a lot of time, to do it that way, but I just couldn't 
seem to have enough arms, hands, etc., so I always nursed one after the other, and always 
did 10 minutes on each side, each twin.  That was a mistake, too, I feel, but, like I said, I 
wasn't trained and know what I know now.  But, we all survived, and the reason that I quit 
at 6 months, was, because my doctor told me I had to quit, because I was already 4 months 
pregnant, with the next baby.  So, I ended up with 3 babies, in 1983, twins born in January 
and the next one born in December.  Waited 5 years, to have the last one.  Joann

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2