From:
Joann Charnock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:09:10 -0500
Hi Marla,  I breast fed my twins, who are now 26, so that was many moons ago.  ha.  But,
even though I was a Nurse, then, I was not Lactation Certified at the time, of course, but
with the help that I did receive in the hospital, I was able to get started, and did have all
sorts of problems in the beginning.  I remember priding myself, though, that I never used
any formula.  Nursed 3 weeks using breast shields, kept practicing taking them off, and
finally, at 3 weeks, was able to latch them, and continued to breast feed for 6 months.  I
did nurse a lot in while in bed, side lying, nursing one after the other. (Exhaustion, but high
determination, I would say),  I would get two 1 1/2 hour slots of sleep at night, then it
would be morning again.  So, I know that I fell asleep A LOT, while breast feeding, I would
jump up out of bed, suddenly, and say Where's the baby??!!  And my husband would say, I
already put her back to bed, go to sleep!  ha  Sometimes, it would be 3 o'clock in the
afternoon, I would still have my robe on, and still had not had my cup of coffee.  ha  I did
try nursing both at the same time, in the early days, but never felt comfortable enough
doing it that way.  It would have saved a lot of time, to do it that way, but I just couldn't
seem to have enough arms, hands, etc., so I always nursed one after the other, and always
did 10 minutes on each side, each twin.  That was a mistake, too, I feel, but, like I said, I
wasn't trained and know what I know now.  But, we all survived, and the reason that I quit
at 6 months, was, because my doctor told me I had to quit, because I was already 4 months
pregnant, with the next baby.  So, I ended up with 3 babies, in 1983, twins born in January
and the next one born in December.  Waited 5 years, to have the last one.  Joann