From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:16:52 +0000
Thank you Pamela.

For those too busy to hit the link as you're going to get to it later...
this is the 'new' bit in the update...

"2. At six months, if replacement feeding is still not acceptable,
feasible, affordable,
sustainable and safe, continuation of breastfeeding with additional
complementary foods is
recommended, while the mother and baby continue to be regularly assessed."

Which refers directly to recent discussion here, so I felt it useful to
highlight it.

Also, I've blogged a response to the WABA statement, where I highlight
the plight of a group of HIV mothers in the UK, who are told to formula
feed and are then deported, feeding formula, to resource poor countries
where the advice is to breastfeed at all costs.  I raise this here, as I
suspect this is a Universal policy with refugee women seeking asylum -
and would ask, for those interested, in checking what your country does
for these women.

Is there anywhere that recognises that HIV and formula feeding advice
should be given on the basis of the country for deportation, not the
country of residence at the birth?

We are actually supporting such a baby at the moment - she's on formula
as the mother is HIV+, yet she and her mother are being deported to West
Africa.  This is all the more criminal in my mind, as the mother had
successfully breastfed the two older siblings, and is well aware of the
dangers of bottle feeding in her country of origin. Not to mention is
destitute, and so when returned, will not be able to buy formula at
all.  The destitution in her country of origin was part of her original
claim for refugee status - but she was told to formula feed by the NHS,
nonetheless.

I suspect, if you all look, you'll find your own country is doing
exactly this - and babies are needlessly put at far greater risk,
because of it.

Morgan Gallagher
<http://one-of-those-women.blogspot.com/2008/12/world-aids-day-hiv-mothers-in-uk.html>