From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:37:51 -0400
I am writing with the permission of the nurse that I am writing about.  I work
with her on the maternity floor.  She has worked on the floor for about a year
but about 9 months (now is that another coincidence?) after she started she
began bilaterally lactating.  She has never been pregnant.  She initially
confided in me and asked me if I had ever heard of it.  I said no, the only time
I had heard of it was in regards to a pituitary tumor and I referred her to her
HCP.  All of the professionals she has since seen have not had any answers
for her.  She went to the Breast Center at the Faulkner Hsp in Boston and the
doctor was curious but offered no answers.  She has had Prolactin levels,
TSH, Bilateral ultrasounds, MRI of Pituitary and HCG tests and all were
negative or normal.  She is producing enough milk to "shoot" out but not
enough to become engorged. She does wear pads sometimes.  She has also
told me she had saline implants about 3yrs ago but they have never been a
problem and the doctors say they have nothing to do with this. She has a
normal menstral cycle, not on any meds or birth control pills.  Can anyone help
here?  Anyone seen or heard of this?  What would you recommend?  An
endocrinologist? Could this just be due to smell/sight stimulation?  Any input is
appreciated.

Ilene Fabisch, IBCLC
Clinical Director Mothers' Milk Bank of New England