Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:49:44 -0500
Gina said: "Also, attachment theory has absolutely nothing to do with AP".

That is not the case. AP was conceptualized as parenting behaviors which
make it easy for a parent to be responsive to their child's cues, since
responsiveness is what creates a state of secure attachment in the child
(per attachment theory).

Unfortunately there has been very little research to date which looks at
whether or not AP practices enhance a child's security, but what research
has been done (eg Anisfeld 1991) shows clearly that they do.

Tina

Tina Kimmel, PhD, MSW, MPH

> When I said that I believe it is possible to be attached to your baby
without practicing AP, this is exactly what I'm getting at. I do believe
that you can be responsive to the baby's cues without
> practicing all the tenets of AP (babywearing, co-sleeping, etc. etc.).
Responsiveness is but one of the practices, and I have observed that
most people who interested in breastfeeding, are somewhat open to
listening to their babies cues.

> I also want to clarify that I, personally, did practice AP with two out
of three of my infants. I believe in it deeply. I do promote it and
advocate for it. I do believe constant physical contact with his mother
is a baby's birthright. That being said, I will help anyone who wants to
breastfeed their children regardless of their interest in practicing AP,
and I do not believe that I was detached from the child I did not AP.
But as I said earlier, it was impossible to nurse
> through a nursing strike, and thus breastfeeding ended prematurely for us.
>
> I also believe that presenting breastfeeding as a package deal with AP
can be overwhelming and off-putting for many people. If people think
co-sleeping and babywearing are part of the breastfeeding package, I
think more people would choose to not even go down that path in the
first place. I find that just talking about breastfeeding and the
importance of listening to baby's cues and your own instincts
> naturally leads many mothers to AP in the long run.
>
> Also, attachment theory has absolutely nothing to do with AP. It has to
do with forming secure attachments to primary caregivers (I am indexing
a scholarly book on the very subject at this moment). Does AP facilitate
secure attachment? Of course! But is it strictly necessary according to
attachment theory? Nope.

> Gina
> www.safepassagebirth.com
>> I would argue that the responsiveness aspect of AP is vital to the
breastfeeding relationship.  If the mother does not respect the
language
>> of the baby, it is unlikely that the trust relationship that is so
vital
>> to breastfeeding can flourish.
>> In many cultures in which breatfeeding, co-sleeping, and babywearing is
the norm, parents also beat their children.  I know this first-hand
from
>> my time living in West Africa.  I bring this up to dispell the "holier
than thou" aura surrounding AP practices.
>> This brings me to a second question:  As breastfeeding advocates, are
we
>> BREASTMILK advocates or are we BABY advocates as well?  Or does that
depend on the situation?

set lactnet nomail