From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:22:46 -0600
Brenda, I don't have any great words of wisdom. But I will just brainstorm
here.
I agree CST or chiro may help these infants. Possibly some suck training,
which I'm not sure exactly but perhaps finger feeding, rewarding a nutritive
suck pattern with a small bolus, or even paced bottle feeding the same way.
I would be sure both moms are protecting their supplies with a regimen of
regular milk expression, they probably are doing that already. (is it mom's
milk in the supplementer?).
It seems they do well with the supplement flowing, so has mom tried
eliciting a letdown and flow prior to latching baby? How are the moms
supplies? It seems they could be low due to babies poor suckling, and that
could account for why babies do better on sns.
Re the mother who is frustrated, and is about to start a new feeding system,
I would really want to talk to her and try to find out what would work for
her. I am not sure the bottle/breast/bottle system will be much easier. She
may want to do bottle, then finish at breast to satiety, as was recently
discussed here. What about a nipple shield for either or both of these
babies?
These are tough situations, usually with no easy answers. Good luck.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA