From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 08:33:29 -0500
Sorry, but everything we thought about genetics and the acquisition of
characters is being revolutionized. A few examples, not about bees
directly but with far reaching implications. (Xenobiotics are
substances foreign to an entire biological system, i.e. artificial
substances, which did not exist in nature before their synthesis by
humans)

Caste Determination in a Polymorphic Social Insect: Nutritional,
Social, and Genetic Factors

> We examined how dietary, social, and genetic factors affect individual size and caste in the Florida harvester ant Pogonomyrmex badius, which has three discrete female castes. The diet that a larva consumed, as indicated by ¦Ä13C, ¦Ä15N, and C:N, varied with caste. Both N content and estimated trophic position of dietary input was higher for major than for minor workers and was highest for gynes (reproductive females). The size and resources of a colony affected the size of only minor workers, not that of gynes and major workers. Approximately 19% of patrilines showed a bias in which female caste they produced. There were significant genetic effects on female size, and the average sizes of a major worker and a gyne produced by a patriline were correlated, but neither was correlated with minor worker size. Thus, genetic factors influence both caste and size within caste. We conclude that environmental, social, and genetic variation interact to create morphological and physiological variation among females in P. badius.

Epigenetic and phenotypic changes result from exposure to phytoestrogens

--
refs

Caste Determination in a Polymorphic Social Insect: Nutritional,
Social, and Genetic Factors
Am Nat 2008. Vol. 172, pp. 497¨C507

Epigenetic and phenotypic changes result from a continuous pre and
post natal dietary exposure to phytoestrogens in an experimental
population of mice
BMC Physiology 2008, 8:17 Published: 15 September 2008