From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:11:23 -0400
Lloyd wrote: "My understanding is that the principal reason for
increased diabetes is the
increase in obesity."

Lack of sufficient exercise likely plays a key role. Fad diets are
usually a bad idea. It's always easier to blame something or someone
outside of ourselves. Try parking at the far end of the parking lot!

> The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends maintaining a healthy weight, getting at least 2½ hours of exercise per week (several brisk sustained walks appears sufficient), having a modest fat intake, and eating a good amount of fiber and whole grains.

> The ADA does not recommend alcohol consumption as a preventive, but it is interesting to note that moderate alcohol intake may reduce the risk. There is inadequate evidence that eating foods of low glycemic index is clinically helpful.

* * *

> As the low-carbohydrate-diet fad slowly loses steam, another may be moving in to take its place: the glycemic index fad. There is not enough evidence yet to show that such an action actually will improve your blood glucose levels; and second, choosing foods based solely on GI will compromise healthy eating. Base your food choices on a nutritionally balanced diet, while controlling total carbohydrates.

http://www.diabetes.org/glycemic-index.jsp

pb