From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2008 08:44:10 +1000
Hi all

The Australian Breastfeeding Association provides the only mother-to-mother
support for breastfeeding in Australia.  Telephone counselling is offered 7
days a week (24hours in most states) at no cost (except for the cost of the
call) to mothers by volunteer counselors from their own homes.  We also run
monthly discussion meetings (which are fairly informal) in most areas, have
an online forum, offer email counselling and have a retail arm.  We produce
a bimonthly magazine for subscribers, a peer reviewed journal and we have a
large lactation specific library.  We also offer education for health
professionals including the 48hours required for IBLCE candidates.

Counsellors all have personal breastfeeding experience and significant
training.  Until recently training involved monthly attendance at group
discussion meetings, training meetings, 7 short answer assignments, 1 essay
and regular contact with a mentor.  This usually took 12-18months to
complete.  As of last year counselors are required to complete about 400
hours of education (12months fte) and several assessment events. (This
necessitates active involvement with the association.) Upon completion, they
now receive a nationally recognized qualification in breastfeeding
education.

Subscription to the Association is $50 per year.  Subscribers receive a free
copy of Breastfeeding.naturally by Jill Day and 6 issues of Essence
Magazine.  They also receive discounted breastpump hire and discount at the
retail arm.  One can be a subscriber without being a counsellor or community
educator (similar training).

We have around 15 000 members and around 3500 counsellors/community
educators.

Cheers

Nina Berry

Australia