From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:24:36 +0100
Perhaps the grandmother would be interested in some facts, to impact on
her worry?

Alcohol processes out of breastmilk at the same rate it processes out of
blood.  At approx one hour per unit of alcohol.  Depending on the
mother's  food intake at the time, it will take the alcohol between 30
and 90 minutes to get into her blood/breastmilk, and then one hour per
unit to be removed.

If there is any alcohol in breastmilk when ingested by the baby, it is a
very small amount, and then has to be ingested in turn by the baby, and
processed.  Meaning the baby gets a tiny tiny shred of what the mother
ingested.

At the level quoted here, if the baby is being fed straight after the
mother drinks, then there is a tiny, almost negligible amount of alcohol
in the breastmilk.  If the baby is not being fed until two or three
hours after dinner then the baby is not receiving one drop of alcohol.

Telling mother's who are breastfeeding that they cannot drink, is
another way if inhibiting breastfeeding, and it is usually a moral panic
issue, that somehow requires a breastfeeding mother to be superhumanly
virtuous and 'clean'.

Perhaps the grandmother would be better examining her own agenda with
other parenting issues, to see if she is 'alighting' upon this one as
the 'indefensible' one?  The formula btw, is much more risky than the wine.

As long as she's not binge drinking, any breastfeeding mother can
consume the maximum 14 recommended units for her weekly consumption,
without one drop every reaching the baby.  It's called arithmetic.

Above 14 units, the issue is the health of the mother, not the health of
the baby.

Morgan Gallagher
(Who had a glass of red wine per day all the way through her pregnancy,
with her OB's blessing.)