From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:15:47 -0400
I am sure all know that there are two classes of diabetes- type one
and type two.

The cause of type one is not known, but is evolving. Some people are
genetically predisposed to type one, but even there, the genes have to
  be turned on to get it. It is not known how the genes get turned on.
Type one is fairly limited in who gets it. One identical twin can have
it while the other does not. You can get it even in later life. My
brother-in-law was diagnosed with it only recently and he is in his
60s, and has a controlled diet (his wife is an organic vegetarian),
thin as a rail and exercises. Something turned it on.

Type two is related to weight and exercise and can be controlled by
losing weight and exercising. Any of us can get type two. But the kind
of exercise may also be a factor, since some muscles (upper body like
arms) have been shown to control insulin levels. So you can be
overweight, but have good muscle tone and not get type two.

As far as trying to pin the cause on any one food, it is not the kind
but the amount. Overweight is overweight, be it by white sugar, honey,
big macs or granola. However, HFCS is a bad sugar as it does not
signal to the brain to control its amount, while sucrose does. So a
coke with sugar will cause you to limit the amount you eat, while one
with HFCS will not. Just think of all the foods out there with HCFS
that are not signaling to the brain that enough is enough.

My mother had type two and it was controlled with diet. I have several
relatives and friends who did not control it and lost legs or their
lives, so I am profoundly interested in what is going on the the
diabetes world.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine