From:
Eric Simms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:06:06 -0700
Dee Lusby: "So for commercial beekeeper working hives daily for the most part, no problem then I am seeing. Probably even working 1-2 times a week also.
But seems the same with stings for size of redness, depending upon the frequency of the stings gotten."
It is primarily (but not entirely) an exposure frequency issue - commercial beekeepers thus aren't affected by venom allergies, generally speaking, nor are the apitherapy recipients.  Hobbyists and sideliners are probably more at risk for developing an allergy to bee venom:  our club has lost many hobbyists that developed an allergy to bee venom.  I personnally can say that as a sideliner, I have had increasing reaction to bee venom and now carry Benedryl tablets with me when ever I go into the apiary.  I only get stung 3 or four times per year because I wear the layered mesh "african bee" suit for reasons of heat tolerance.