From:
Eric Simms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 19:17:32 -0700
>If you are wondering why a "banana" smell to alarm and sting
>pheromone, that is the specific smell of 2-Heptanone, one
>of the significant components of the pheromone.  It has a
>bit of a metallic edge to it, so it is not exactly the odor
>of a banana.

Excellent summary of the defensive pheromone experience.  I have had defensive bees come straight at my veil, collide and spray me in the face with the defensive pheromone so vigorously as to make it uncomfortable to inhale.  The smell is strong and sweet banana, but just a shade off the acetate smell used for artificial banana flavor or chemical respirator fit testing.  I have found that being marked in this fashion can only be masked by insect repellant spray, Fischer's Bee-Quick(r) or laundry with bleach.  Any where else that you go in the apiary will aggravate otherwise nicer bees.
Always mark or note your defensive colonies and work them last, lest ye be pheromone marked for a target that any respectable guard bee would pursue.
Respectfully,
Eric-the-non-chemical-beekeeper-from-Howe-Texas