Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:05:44 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
re. Newspaper Archives.  Have you tried the Chronicling America collection at the Library of Congress?  

http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/

Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:49:07 PM
Subject: Late 19th century linoleum patterns and newspapers

I am working on a eastern coastal paddlewheel steamboat that has several square feet of linoleum laid down on the engineroom floorboards. I completed most of the research I needed concerning linoleum, but have one question left to answer: did certain linoleum manufacturers produce only certain types of patterns, and if so, was there some sort of industry catalog. It would be nice if I could match up my linoleum with a certain manufacturer. 
Also, I am concerned mainly about linoleum from the 1890s because we found newspaper under the linoleum that dates to 1894 (Feb. 5th exactly). I was curious if anybody knows 1) if there is any documentation showing how to use newspapers as padding for thin linoleum 2) a good way to access newspaper archives. Some lines on the newspaper state "Kerabergi's (?) party active Belgrade-Feb. 5, 1894 Several demonstrations in favor of the Servian Pretender, Prince Keraberg (?)" Also, "Mr. W.A. Chanler's African expedition Zanzibar-Feb 5 1894 (by cable to the Herald) William Astor Chanler left here to ------". These lines along with others may indicate that it was the New York City newspaper Herald, and it would be nice if I could find these pages in the archives. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  

ATOM RSS1 RSS2