HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:52:56 -0800
I taught a course in historical archaeology at the Universi
Hi Robert,

I taught a course in historical archaeology at the University of the Americas in Puebla last fall and devoted the final third of the course to historical archaeology in Hispanic America.  I'm pasting some of the assigned readings below.  I'd be happy to offer more or discuss this in detail further, if you'd like, just let me know.  I just completed my dissertation on historical archaeology at a site in Mexico and so have a (potentially overwhelming) bibliography of more random bits and pieces.  My course assignments were heavily limited to what the university library had available, what I had happened to pack when I went into the field, or what could be accessed online.  Feel free to contact me off list at my "professional" contact information, or here if you would like to discuss any of this.

Best,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Terese Newman
Lecturer, Anthropology
Stony Brook Southampton
252 Chancellor's Hall, 239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, NY 11968
(631) 632-5109

Hispanic American Historical Archaeology References

Fournier-Garcia, Patricia and Fernando Miranda-Flores. “Historic Sites Archaeology in Mexico” in Historical Archaeology 26:1 1992 pp. 75-78.

Funari, Pedro Paulo A. “Archaeology, History and Historical Archaeology in South America,” International Journal of Historical Archaeology 1:3 1997. pp. 189-206

Deagan, Kathleen A. “The Material Assemblage of 16th Century Spanish Florida” in Historical Archaeology 12, 1978.  pp. 25-50.

Deagan, Kathleen A. “The Archaeology of the Spanish Contact Period in the Caribbean” in Journal of World Prehistory 2:2, 1988.  pp. 187-233.

Cheek, Charles D. “Setting an English Table: Black Carib Archaeology on the Caribbean Coast of Honduras” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 101-110.

Smith, Greg Charles. “Andean and European Contributions to Spanish Colonial culture and Viticulture in Moquegua, Peru,” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 165-172.

Buys, Jozef. “Monumentos y Fragmentos: Arqueologia Historica en el Ecuador,” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 111-120.

Fournier-Garcia, Patricia. “Tendencias de Consumo en México durante los Períodos Colonial e Independiente” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 49-58.

Lister F. and R. Lister. “The Potter’s Quarter of Colonial Puebla, Mexico” in Historical Archaeology 18, 1984.  pp. 87-102.

Zeitlin, Judith Francis and Lillian Thomas. “Indian Consumers on the Periphery of the Colonial Market System: Tracing Domestic Economic behavior in a Tehuantepec Hamlet,” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 5-16.

Alexander, Rani T. “Settlement Patterns of the Late Colonial Period in Yaxcabá, Mexico” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 29-40.

Andrews, Anthony. “Historical Archaeology in Yucatan: A Preliminary Framework” in Historical Archaeology 15. 1981.  pp. 1-18.

Jones, D. “The Importance of the Hacienda in 19th Century Otumba and Apan, Basin of Mexico,” in Historical Archaeology 15:2, 1981.  pp. 87-116.