Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:52:56 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (102 lines)
I taught a course in historical archaeology at the Universi
Hi Robert,

I taught a course in historical archaeology at the University of the Americas in Puebla last fall and devoted the final third of the course to historical archaeology in Hispanic America.  I'm pasting some of the assigned readings below.  I'd be happy to offer more or discuss this in detail further, if you'd like, just let me know.  I just completed my dissertation on historical archaeology at a site in Mexico and so have a (potentially overwhelming) bibliography of more random bits and pieces.  My course assignments were heavily limited to what the university library had available, what I had happened to pack when I went into the field, or what could be accessed online.  Feel free to contact me off list at my "professional" contact information, or here if you would like to discuss any of this.

Best,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth Terese Newman
Lecturer, Anthropology
Stony Brook Southampton
252 Chancellor's Hall, 239 Montauk Highway
Southampton, NY 11968
(631) 632-5109
[log in to unmask]

Hispanic American Historical Archaeology References

Fournier-Garcia, Patricia and Fernando Miranda-Flores. “Historic Sites Archaeology in Mexico” in Historical Archaeology 26:1 1992 pp. 75-78.

Funari, Pedro Paulo A. “Archaeology, History and Historical Archaeology in South America,” International Journal of Historical Archaeology 1:3 1997. pp. 189-206

Deagan, Kathleen A. “The Material Assemblage of 16th Century Spanish Florida” in Historical Archaeology 12, 1978.  pp. 25-50.

Deagan, Kathleen A. “The Archaeology of the Spanish Contact Period in the Caribbean” in Journal of World Prehistory 2:2, 1988.  pp. 187-233.

Cheek, Charles D. “Setting an English Table: Black Carib Archaeology on the Caribbean Coast of Honduras” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 101-110.

Smith, Greg Charles. “Andean and European Contributions to Spanish Colonial culture and Viticulture in Moquegua, Peru,” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 165-172.

Buys, Jozef. “Monumentos y Fragmentos: Arqueologia Historica en el Ecuador,” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 111-120.

Fournier-Garcia, Patricia. “Tendencias de Consumo en México durante los Períodos Colonial e Independiente” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 49-58.

Lister F. and R. Lister. “The Potter’s Quarter of Colonial Puebla, Mexico” in Historical Archaeology 18, 1984.  pp. 87-102.

Zeitlin, Judith Francis and Lillian Thomas. “Indian Consumers on the Periphery of the Colonial Market System: Tracing Domestic Economic behavior in a Tehuantepec Hamlet,” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 5-16.

Alexander, Rani T. “Settlement Patterns of the Late Colonial Period in Yaxcabá, Mexico” in Gasco, J., G.C. Smith, and P. Fournier-Garcia (eds) Approaches to the Historical Archaeology of Mexico, Central & South America, Monograph 38, The Institute of Archaeology, University of California, Los Angeles. 1997.  pp. 29-40.

Andrews, Anthony. “Historical Archaeology in Yucatan: A Preliminary Framework” in Historical Archaeology 15. 1981.  pp. 1-18.

Jones, D. “The Importance of the Hacienda in 19th Century Otumba and Apan, Basin of Mexico,” in Historical Archaeology 15:2, 1981.  pp. 87-116.

Sent: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 2:13:23 PM
Subject: Suggested Articles

Colleagues:

I need your advice on some suggested articles for a new undergraduate course being constructed here at Penn. The course will be on "The Anthropology of the Americas" and cover the entire New World from the first peopling up to the present. It will be one of the few courses at Penn, maybe the only one, to treat the Americas as one unit of study. A primary purpose will also be to demonstrate a general (cultural, lingusitic, physical and archaeology) anthropological approach to the subject.

Although I will not be a primary teacher of the course I am suggesting readings for major topics. I came up with some very good Ideas on key topics that Historical Archaeology could address (e.g. creolization - Ferguson's book; early settlement - the Kelso Jamestown book; other ethic groups - Wegar's edited volume on Overseas Chinese, etc. etc.). Suddenly we realized that everyone was doing the same thing- all suggesting BOOKS. We would have had poor undergraduates reading about 30 books in one semester.

I am going to keep the Kelso book in play but I need to suggest ARTICLES in place of the other books and I could use your help. What would be a good article - probably involving a case study rather than a theoretical discussion - for the following:

(1) Early colonization (besides the Kelso book). For example, what is Henry Miller's best article to show all the interesting
                discoveries on English adaptation in Maryland?

(2) Creolizations - Ferguson's (or some other) best article that summaries his book.

(3) European conquest - but archaeology of - anything on the Aztec Empire or something from North America?

(4) African American Archaeology - slave period and/or free communities.

(5) Asian American Archaeology - Wegar's best article or something else?

(5) Archaeology of Race

(6) Ethnic Identity

(7) Archaeology of class

(7) Contemporary socio-political setting for Historical Archaeology (e.g. what is the best article about the issues around the
                African Burial Ground in NYC?).

Any suggestions?  I want Historical Archaeology to be involved in as much of the course as possible so prehistoric archaeology (Precolumbian Americas) will not dominate everything.

thanks,

Bob Schuyler

Robert L. Schuyler
University of Pennsylvania Museum
3260 South Street
Philadelphia, PA l9l04-6324

Tel: (215) 898-6965
Fax: (215) 898-0657
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2