Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:10:28 EDT
Another thing along the lines of a recent post I was thinking:   Physical
Therapists usually see people who have experienced some assault on  their
systems, an accident, birth trauma, stroke, post-surgery, etc. They are  coming in
not in an optimized, "normal" state. Some have never been there birth  trauma,
physiological defect issues, ( congenital heart problems, congenital  limb
deformations or lack of limb at all) some from something later in life,  like
lifelong smoking that had led to amputations, or compromised  cardiorespiratory
function, some an acute assault, like being burned in a fire  but an otherwise
healthy person. Therapy tries to address healing, and  optimization of function
to as close to normal as possible for each person.  People who see PTs, and
OTs and SLTs are seeing one kind of therapist, other  people see
psychotherapists, and I suppose the goals are similar, needed healing  and optimization of
function.

In the case of mother-baby dyads post-partum, most of the babies  I see do
not have major neurological issues, though they are likely to have been
assaulted by current US birth and post-partum practices( as have their  mothers,)
which have left some neurological shadows on the baby's behavior  and function.
As LCs we may do some  therapeutic techniques to try to work  through these
assaults, but mostly we are trying to help the mother facilitate  her own baby's
competencies which have been thrown off by modern life and  cultural
practices. Sometimes I do feel like a feeding therapist because  the post-induction,
post-analgesia infant can have so many issues that have an  impact on their
ability to feed competently. Since breastfeeding is so much more  than a way of
feeding, I find the titles challenging. Lactation Consultant to me  always
sounds like we are all about the science of lactation, whereas most  private
practice IBCLCs I know are really looking at breastfeeding as a part of  the
mother-baby relationship, the setting for first love, the source of so many
competencies both physical, physiological, immunological, psychological, and
emotional. What kind of a title would address all that?  :)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA