From:
DAVID ADAMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:21:28 -0400
Bob, your right about putting all the systemic pesticides on  and into the trees. By the way the temik is injected into the soil, under the canopy of the tree and it uptakes it ,so heavy rain can in theory, leach it to somewhere it should not be.
 I'm not a tree hugger, but I think we have way to much dependence on some of these chemicals.
  Interesting enough is that with all the pesticides  one of the most used things in brazil for combating greening is copper and spray oil. That was a main stay here back in the 60's and 70's before the swing to all the new chemicals, which kind of tells me ,alot of the old school methods would still work if it weren't for good advertising and following your neighbors chemical truck.

 In regard to bees leaving citrus groves beat up, the worst problems came from growers spraying all of the different pesticides ,against the label, while bees were in the groves. And if you don't like it alot of guys were told to leave or some were told not to come back after the bloom in spring of 06 because the growers did'nt want any liability from beekeepers claiming spray losses.Even if you were in a grove which was not spraying during bloom,  someone in the area might have been.You would know when you seen all the dead bees on the ground.Then they would give you a day or two to clear out at the end or get sprayed,for real .
 I've heard of a few guys that come here from georgia for citrus that have have alot of queenless hives once they got back for Gallberry, and blame it on picking up spray damage. Just another hurdle to deal with ,along with the rest .
 As for the OJ  lab study, I'd be interested to see alot of our foods (friut and veggies) looked at by some private folks, I think the USDA and FDA , don't want to know and are lobbied heavy by big chemical brother not to want to look to hard.

WHERE THERE ARE FRUITS AND NUTS THERE ARE BEEKEEPERS