From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:18:47 -0400
>> The last decade has seen the inexorable proliferation of a host
>> of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, or bad bugs ... The problem was
>> predictable--"resistance happens," ....
>> at least 90,000 deaths a year in the United States could be
>> attributed to bacterial infections, more than half caused by bugs
>> resistant to at least one commonly used antibiotic.

The way most of these read is that we are in a fix because of
developing resistance. Consider the world before antibiotics. With
population of 300,000,000, to have only 90,000 deaths a year in 3
million people from bacterial infections would have been looked at as
a blessing before penicillin.

The battle is not being won by the bacteria. There have been new
developments that could short circuit bacteria's ability to develop
resistance.

We are living longer, healthier, and fuller lives than ever in
history. Why are so many so glum? I'm not.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine