From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:28:09 +1000
It's obviously an issue. Is LLL or any of the other breastfeeding advocacy
organisations in the US involved?
Karleen Gribble
Australia

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9010981

SAN ANGELO, Texas - The Texas judge overseeing the polygamous FLDS sect's
case has rebuffed pleas to allow breast-feeding mothers to remain with their
children in state custody.

Attorneys for the women asked the judge to consider letting nursing mothers
remain with their children after negotiations with CPS on the issue stalled.
They asked the judge to let the mothers stay until DNA results are in,
likely to take up to 40 days.
    Walther acknowledged the nutritional and bonding benefits of
breast-feeding.
    "But every day in this country, we have mothers who go back to work
after six weeks of maternity leave," she said.
    "The court has made a determination that the environment those children
were in was not safe," said Walther, adding that there is a shortage of
suitable placements for infants in Texas.
    The judge said she would leave it up to CPS officials and the attorneys
to work something out on the breast-feeding. The attorneys, however, said so
far they have been unable to come to agreement.