From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:16:50 -0400
My mom had a string of pearls, as well. I was born in 1961. We lived in
Clarendon Hills, IL, which was 15 miles from Franklin Park - a whole
different world away, as far as "the city" was concerned!

Mom stayed home with us, until, (as Mary J mentioned) the kids were in about
8th grade - she felt we were safe at home without her, and could venture
forth into the world. She had a license, but no car, until she started
working outside the home, and indeed, now, she "had to work" because we had
another car payment, more gas (at, shocking!! 0.50c/gallon!!) and insurance.
She additionally needed clothing for work, so it became a need to work
situation. Funny how much less we actually needed before she started
working! Food prices became higher, because she was eating out/carry out,
instead of making from scratch - as Debbi mentioned.

I frequently wonder, when talking with mothers of young children, frustrated
at the "need to work" how much of their lifestyle was acquired and needing
to be paid for, which required the return to employment outside the home.

And, further I wonder how much the increase in gasoline prices will change
how the US behaves. Everything is so much more money - food, transportation,
diapers... Is this going to be a crushing blow to the economy which the US
will never overcome, or will it be a return to simpler times where it is
more cost effective for a parent to stay home, return to one car, create
food out of ingredients instead of a box? I suppose it could go either way!

My favorite Edwina memory (I was a DA in her district) was her (basic
horror) of mothers using sippy cups. She was very outspoken, and never
neglected to express her opinion. She was kind, but she was very matter of
fact. I had my toddler at an Area Workshop, with coffee cup in hand. I
always gave my babies coffee cups with water, because somewhere, I had read
about Edwina's suggestion of using coffee cups for toddlers. The cups are
heavy, pretty unbreakable, the toddler used 2 hands to hold it, and learned
to navigate the concept of drinking from a cup really well. If you put water
in it, this satisfied thirst, as well as the "need to be just like mom." I
thought (and still think) the whole idea was brilliant. She made an effort
to talk to me at the workshop, with special regard to the cup! I was so
embarassed, because here was ~~a founding Mom~~ talking to me about my
baby!! She looked like my grandmother, she was so familiar, I just felt like
sitting on her lap like a little girl. A truly wonderful woman.

When Mom died, I got her string of pearls, but I am an avid non-necklace
wearer (they're either too long or too short). But, I do have a pair of
pearl earrings I wear "on special occasions." :o)

Best wishes,
Sam
Still cooking from scratch...

<<Hi Marianne,

As of modern US: it is amazing how many women do have pearls. I am singing
in a choir and when we have a concert, quite often we are allowed only
pearls as jewelery, so I do have some pearls now :) . I see this also in
other choirs.

Warmly,

Nanny Gortzak, MSC, IBCLC
Irvine, California>>