From:
Jennifer Sokolow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 01:17:25 -0400
Hi,

It happens that I experienced this first-hand recently. I gave birth
to baby #3 and she had a type 4 posterior tongue-tie. Both my nipples
had large scabs on them within 12 hours of her birth! Each feeding was
an experience of toe-curling, excruciating pain for me, and this was
after a beautiful, unmedicated home birth (1 hour from first
contraction to delivery), with no mother-baby separation, no
interventions or unnecessary procedures, plenty of time to self-
attach, etc. etc.

Although she did lateralize somewhat, her tongue was very flat and
didn't really come out over her gums. Dr. Betty Coryllos clipped it,
as well as the labial frenulum, when baby was 3 days old. The baby was
tightly swaddled and the assistant held her head while I held her body
down and the dr lifted up the tongue with her "mickey mouse ears" as
she calls them. ;) She examined the tongue, determined that there was
a tongue-tie, and clipped it right then. She swabbed the frenulum with
benzocaine before clipping. Baby did scream during the procedure and
as her mother it was hard to watch (I cried a little, too), but I knew
it was necessary to save our breastfeeding relationship. My husband
left the room during the procedure as he tends to faint at the sight
of blood.

The frenulum was very thick, definitely not the thin membrane you
usually see. It almost looked like a braid to me--there seemed to be
several "strands" of tissue crossing each other. I am not a
professional (though I hope to become an IBCLC someday, which is why I
lurk on this list), so I don't know if this is common or if I am
describing it properly. Dr. Coryllos did comment to me on how thick it
was, and there was quite a bit of blood, but the dr applied pressure
for several minutes with a gauze pad while we sang to the baby and the
bleeding stopped fairly quickly. We gave her tylenol every 4-6 hours
for the next two days, as directed by the dr. She was pretty cranky
the day after the clipping, but her tongue movement improved almost
immediately. Huge, huge improvement in latch, although still not
perfect due to other issues, but once my nipples healed, I could feed
without feeling as though my nipples were caught in some kind of
medieval torture device.

Baby was seen by her regular pediatrician 2 days after clipping. Ped
was pretty surprised that I'd had it done since she hadn't noticed the
tongue tie (and I didn't consult about it her first), but said that it
was healing nicely. It was easy to see the clip because there was a
grey diamond-shaped area under the baby's tongue. We saw Cathy Genna
last week (about one month after the frenotomy) and she also said that
it had healed very well.

I can't see why this would need general anesthesia. Doesn't anesthesia
carry its own risks? When a baby has surgery and anesthesia, is the
mother allowed to be present? As hard as it was to watch, I would much
rather have my baby go through a procedure with me right there and
able to nurse her immediately afterward. Even if you can nurse once
the baby wakes up, it just seems longer and more complicated than it
has to be.

Both Dr. Coryllos and Cathy Genna are amazing and I've never felt so
lucky to live on Long Island! I hope the baby you referred is able to
get treatment. I don't know what I would have done if I lived
somewhere else and couldn't find a dr wiling to clip a type 4.

Jennifer Sokolow