From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:47:40 -0500
Dear all:

First, in International Nutrition we defined "supplementary" as extra food provided to a
family, or vulnerable family members in addition to the diet they had access to on their
own.  "Complementary" was defined as the foods given to an infant in addition to breast
milk.

I want to make it abundantly clear that all of the studies I have ever seen on providing
malnourished mothers with "supplementary foods' in developing countries never showed
an improvement in their milk supply or their infant's growth.  Some of the earlier studies
on infants compared "supplementary" food provided to infants compared to locally
prepared and often contaminated "complementary" foods.  In fact, my dissertation results
(completed in the early 1990s) from data collected in the 1970s showed that
uncontaminated food provided at feeding centers to 3-6 month old infants resulted in
greater height at two years of age. Here's the hitch --- NONE of the infants in this part of
Guatmala were exclusively breastfed after 3 months.   I cannot overemphasize the fact
that the COMPARISON group was not exclusively breastfed --- the comparison group was
receiving complementary foods that were most likely far more contaminated than that
offered at the feeding center.  So, this did not show anything other than children have
higher length at a later age if they are fed clean food between three to six months than if
they are fed contaminated food between three and six months of age.  From any logical
standpoint, the CLEANEST and most NUTRIENT dense food is breast milk.  Had these
infants in the 1970s been offered breastmilk alone, I am dead certain their growth would
have been far more healthy than those who received the "Supplementary" food.

While I was working on my dissertation the 4-6 month range was still up for grabs.
Because I knew that my research might be misinterpreted by some as justification that it
is just fine to offer complementary foods between three and six months I never published
my results. Shortly after I finished my doctoral dissertation much of the research
supporting six months was conducted, much of it by researchers at UC. Davis.  I was
quite happy to see that UC Davis and others were able to really do the appropriate
research to show that six months is the appropriate "approximate" age for starting solids.

In fact, much of the research does show that too early of an introduction of solids even in
developed countries can actually CAUSE growth faltering.  Why is this?  Because most of
the foods we introduce to young infants are very low in nutrient density.  Think about
cereal - it is not very dense in nutrients.  If you have a small stomach and fill up on
cereal you can't drink enough of the far more nutrious breast milk.   This is ESPECIALLY
true in developing countries where access to latrines, water, and a means of making the
water potable is difficult.  So, even in developing countries, infants usually do much
better without disrupting their gut with some other substance.  In short, if an infant is
faltering in growth, stuffing them full of cereal is not a solution and is likely to make the
situation worse.

Now, here's my real mom story.  My son absolutely loved to toddle around the Museum
of Natural History.  The instant he saw the oldest ground in gum that had become part of
the floor, he would drop down and speed crawl (he was faster crawling than running) to
the gum and try to plaster his mouth to it if I didn't notice in time.  He had an amazing
ability to find old gum.

Best, Susan Burger