quoted-printable
In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
lisa mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Dear Lactnet group,
Would like some input on this idea. Kaiser buying Moby Wraps and putting our thrive logo on it and passing them out to all new mom's who deliver at Kaiser. I work at KP in San Diego and myself and a fellow CNM thought this would be a great idea for promoting Bonding and Nursing. V/R Lisa Mooney, CNM MSN IBCLC.> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:59:00 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 3 Jun 2008 - Special issue (#2008-646)> To: [log in to unmask]> > There are 6 messages totalling 373 lines in this issue.> > Topics in this special issue:> > 1. reference book (2)> 2. Formula/ EBM and bilirubin> 3. Nursing bras> 4. breastfeeding telenovela> 5. bilirubin and formula vs breastmilk (long)> > Lactnet Archives are at:> LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html> To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:> http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html> > Thanks- Kathleen Bruce, Kathy Koch, Rachel Myr,> Karleen Gribble, Linda Pohl, LACTNET Facilitators> > Questions to [log in to unmask]> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:08:15 -0400> From: "Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: reference book> > I'll vote for Breastfeeding A-Z by Cadwell and Turner-Maffei. Great easy> reference and triage tool.> > Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC> Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre Ltd.> 6540 Cedarview Ct, Dayton OH 45459 USA> (937) 438-9458 / fax (937) 438-3229> www.BFLRC.com> > -----Original Message-----> From: Liz Brooks [mailto:[log in to unmask]]=20> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:24 PM> Subject: reference book> > OOH! Books! My favorite thing!!> > Hooray to Becky Lyons for giving the RN-graduates of their BF course => books> geared for the clinician.> > My suggestions for several excellent, decently-priced books (many> conveniently available at ILCA for a discount to members!) are:> > Maternal and Infant Assessment for BF (Cadwell et al)> > Little Green Book (Hertz)> > Lactation Management (Dann)> > BF Managment for the Clinician (Walker)> > Quick Reference for the LacationProfessional (Lauwers)> > Clinician's BF Triage Tool (ILCA)(not a book, but cheap enough to get a> bunch to give out as Big Bookmarks)> > Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC> Wyndmoor, PA, USA> > _________________________________________________________________> Enjoy 5 GB of free, password-protected online storage.> http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_Ref=> resh_> skydrive_062008> ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: => set> lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet => welcome> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 00:12:50 +0200> From: Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: Formula/ EBM and bilirubin> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: <[log in to unmask]>> To: <[log in to unmask]>> Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:44 PM> Subject: [LACTNET] Formula/ EBM and bilirubin> > **Hello Nancy,> > > Formula DOES decrease bilirubin faster> > **That may be true, but as some already asked: is that what we want? Is that > what is needed, as long as the levels are acceptable?> > for two reasons - you are usually> > giving more of it> > **If the matter is that EBM is not being given in big enough quantities, > shouldn't we then promote giving *more cc's breastmilk* instead of turing to > AIM...?> > and elemental formulas drop it faster than regular formulas.> > **The one formula may have an advantage *in this respect* to the other > (don't know, I'm not knowledgeable about AIM), but to me that doesn't seem > to be the right question ("does formula X help faster than formula Y?"), > considering all the *disadvantages* AIM brings, even with one bottle, > especially not when that bottle is supposed to bring bili-levels down that > are not even high enough to be risky.> I think the appropriate questions are, in the right sequence: "Is > breastfeeding going well? If not, how can we improve it? If baby doesn't > drink enough, can we get extra milk from the breast by pumping? Are > bililevels really too high, or do we miss certain bits of knowledge that > would explain why it is okay for bili's to be somewhat higher than in ff > babies? Does EBM take the levels down enough to be safe, even if they are > not down as far as we would like to see them in due time?" We could probably > still ask more questions, but imo these are the most important ones.> What do you think...?> > Kindly,> > Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands > > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 18:23:03 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Nursing bras> > Once upon a time when I had little breasts and was nursing my second child and had dealt with horrible old fashion nursing bras I > decided on Olga bra gowns to wear to sleep and lounge about and wore front closing bras just too easy with a frantic ravenous child who later could release the clasp herself when she was older. > Nowadays I see all kinds of poorly devised bras and nursing gowns.? New moms in hospital shouldn't have to fight trying to learn to manage baby and all the material of gowns and tops let alone bras. I tell my new moms no bras ( I had been told on the second child if I wore the Olga bra gown my breasts would sag to my waist....I knew that? was coming because my family has large breasts as they age).? So I just want the Moms to get handling babies and breasts and not having me hold them for them...I can't go home with them.> In Childbirth Class I suggest cami shelf tops with pj bottoms and easy access or old fashion front pj tops lots of space for skin to skin.> Whoever designs nursing gowns never gets slits lined up with breasts, so I recommend they try stuff on in store and see how easy to access their breasts are . I also tell them to look for front hook bras and avoid the ones with the small hooks like on the back of the bra...(yes, they still make those kind) and tell them to try to unfasten the hook with one hand, as if they were hold in baby in other hand.> Just my uptake on the idea of nursing bras and for really large breasted women I tell them to look for next size up and they are really astonished their breasts can get much larger...remember I was looking for the lady who needed > G cup. > Must buzz off? to Lamaze class.> Leanne Jewell RN-BC, IBCLC, LCCE, FACCE> S Fl> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:00:34 -0500> From: Linda Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: reference book> > <<We would like to present each RN (upon completion of Breastfeeding> Resource> > Course) a paperback book on breastfeeding - geared toward the clinician. Our> funding is not good, and the books I've thought of are in the ballpark of> $50.00.> > Any suggestions?> > Thanks,> > Becky Lyons, LD, IBCLC> > Children's Healthcare of Atlanta>>> > > > Becky,> > Dr. Gail Hertz's Little Green Book is excellent and very inexpensive ($10 US> or less). There's a new edition out and it fits in your pocket.> > Linda Anderegg, RNC, BSN, IBCLC in Chicago> > > > > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:01:02 -0700> From: Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: breastfeeding telenovela> > <Did anyone go to the link on YouTube:> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCReQin-bAo&NR=1> > How's THIS for Marketing? I could easily see this translated into Spanish,> English and having an African American family addressing the same issue in> the same way...>> > Did you see the fine print about the path to self-sufficiency? How cool is> that!> > Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC> Roseville, CA> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 21:58:51 -0500> From: laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: bilirubin and formula vs breastmilk (long)> > Hi Carrie,> Don't confront the doctor just yet. Do some google searches for neonatal> hyperbilirubinemia and various combinations of words like formula +> breastmilk. If you have access to Peds journals, you should be able to find> many articles and you should read the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine> protocol for jaundice, which can be found on a web search. At the end of my> post I've listed one that I found but couldn't access + don't see a> publication date. Also if you haven't already, you will find it very> informative to study the algorithms from the AAP on when to start> phototherapy for term, preterm, high risk, low risk, intermediate risk> babies. This will give you an idea of what situations are more worrisome> than others.> > There is something about formula which appears to get bilirubin conjugated> faster, or there is something in breastmilk which makes bili conjugate> slower (normally, really). All of this is not really a problem for healthy> term babies that are bf well, and have bili levels below about 15 in the> first week. The problem comes in when healthy term babies are not eating> well or not eating often enough, or not getting milk due to low supply or> when preterm babies are affected and who are more vulnerable to bilirubin> encephalopathy at lower bili levels or when pathology is present such as ABO> incompatibility or sepsis, for example.> > Now, this is a complicated issue (which I have posted on before, btw, and> those should be in the archives). The management of which often depends on> the doctors comfort level with bf, comfort level with various levels of> bilirubin, comfort level with parent's compliance and followup ability etc.> If one is following a several days old healthy term infant and mother who> needed some early guidance on bf management, and all is well, and the bili> level is under 15, one can just fix/support the bf and continue on. If one> is following a preterm baby whose bili levels are not excessively high, but> who is not feeding very well, and if mother has adequate milk production,> then one can supplement with ebm. The problem comes in when the health care> provider feels the level is too high (often rightly so), or that the> breastmilk itself will make the bili go up, and it's already pretty high, or> the baby is only a day or two old, and likely his bili will go up the next> day or two regardless......> > My suggestion is to observe and ask exactly what the doctor thinks is going> on, and rationale for the management chosen, and then possibly throw your 2> cents in where applicable. Like "Dr. Jones, I've been working with Mrs.> Smith, and she was having trouble getting the baby positioned and latched.> We fixed that and the baby is now bf very well. She has a good milk supply.> Since the baby is full term with no risk factors, how would you feel about> having her supplement with her own milk for the next 24 hrs? [stop here or> maybe go on to say] He's 4 days old and still below the level he would need> phototherapy and mother seems to understand really well about feeding him> often and making sure he's pooping." (probably not necessary even to> supplement, but you get the idea of working with the doc).> Well sorry to go on so long about this, it is one of my areas of interest> and luckily at this employment I am blessed to have doctors who manage this> quite well with low intervention. This has not been the case at other places> I have worked, where healthy term babies with levels of 10 were removed from> their mothers and given phototherapy. AARGH!> Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC> Mississippi USA> > Breastfeeding, Diet, and Neonatal Hyperbilirubinemia> *Glenn R. Gourley, MD> > **OBJECTIVES*> > *After completing this article, readers should be able to:*> > Compare and contrast the incidence of hyperbilirubinemia between breastfed and> formula-fed infants throughout the neonatal period and its relationship to> early hospital discharge.> Describe possible reasons for the occurrence of hyperbilirubinemia in> breastfed infants.> Compare and contrast the incidence of hyperbilirubinemia related to> different infant formulas.> > Among the many factors related to neonatal hyperbilirubinemia is the> composition of an affected infant's diet. In 1879, Frerichs suggested that> "bad nursing" could "exercise a powerful influence" on neonatal> hyperbilirubinemia. Much has been learned since this suggestion was made.> > * **EPIDEMIOLOGY*> Many investigations have documented that the consumption of human milk is> related to neonatal hyperbilirubinemia, including one review of 12 studies> involving more than 8,000 infants in the first week of life and controlled> for factors such as hemolysis to enable comparison of dietary effects alone.> Moderate hyperbilirubinemia (total serum bilirubin [TSB], 205 mcmol/L [12> mg/dL]) was present in 12.9% of the breastfed infants and 4% of the> formula-fed infants (*P*<0.00001). Severe hyperbilirubinemia (TSB, 256 mcmol/L> [15 mg/dL]) was present in 2% of the breastfed infants and 0.3% of the> formula-fed infants (*P*<0.00001). Breastfed infants have higher serum> bilirubin levels on each of the first 5 days of life, and this> hyperbilirubinemia can persist for weeks to months. The association between> feedings of human milk and neonatal hyperbilirubinemia has been reported in> preterm infants fed banked human milk or mixtures of human milk and formula> and among various races.> > More recent studies of otherwise healthy newborns have used> noninvasive transcutaneous> devices to assess hyperbilirubinemia daily (Figs. 1[image: Go] and 2[image:> Go] ). These studies agree with earlier conclusions that otherwise healthy> infants exclusively fed human milk will have higher levels of> hyperbilirubinemia than infants who consume formula. The difference begins> to become significant *. . . [Full Text of this> Article<http://neoreviews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/neoreviews;1/2/e25>> ]*> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > End of LACTNET Digest - 3 Jun 2008 - Special issue (#2008-646)> **************************************************************> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2