From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 18:44:29 -0500
Dear Friends:

Christine's post about a nurse feeling that s2s was alright once the
infant was stable reminds me of a situation I encountered in my work as
a hospital LC.

The baby was small (not SGA) and there were concerns about her ability
to keep her temperature in normal range. I had to negotiate with the
nurse to have the baby in s2s contact with her mother. The mother was
delighted with her baby so close; baby didn't latch, just snuggled in
and slept deeply. After the time period we had agreed on, the nurse
came to take the baby back to the safety of the nursery. She plucked
the nude baby (clad only in a diaper) off the mother's chest; the baby
started screaming and wailing. The nurse wafted the baby through the
air to the plastic isolette and proceeded to dress the screaming baby
in room temperature clothes. I offered to go to the nursery to get the
thermometer and bring it to the room; the nurse refused to consider
that option, and wheeled the screaming baby down the hall to the
nursery only to come back in 5 minutes to say triumphantly (my
interpretation), "I told you s2s couldn't keep a baby warm, this baby's
temperature was low."

There was no way in hell that the nurse would consider that anything
she did caused this baby's temperature to drop.

I think an LC icon for our badges should be a head-banging one.

warmly,
Nikki Lee