From:
Robyn Roche-Paull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:23:54 -0500
 Interesting comment from the author:

<<

Heather,

I absolutely agree with you on both counts!

IN terms of the latter, the confusing part to most women and I spoke to reps
from IBLCE as well (the quotes, unfortunately, were cut for space) is that
IBLCE is not the only certifying institution and most moms don't know the
difference between board-certified and certified. A lot of hospitals cut
costs by not hiring certified IBLCE LCs, instead giving their nurses quickie
courses that get initials like CBE behind their names, and passing them off
as trained LCs.

No wonder 90% of moms intend to breastfeed, but only 50% are doing so a week
after childbirth.

Thanks again for writing.

All best,
Pamela Paul>>

So let's get her to write a follow-up article on the difference between
IBCLC's and LC's and *why*  there is a huge difference in the level of care
they will receive and that consumers (new moms) SHOULD care about the
difference!  Get that written up in the NY Times and maybe (I can hope
anyway) we might see hospitals start hiring on actual qualified IBCLC's, and
not the RN with the quickie weekend course.

I can tell you that the majority of the clients I see coming through my
Private Practice don't know that there is a difference until I explain it to
them.  Then it's like a light bulb going off and they *get* why the hospital
'LC' wasn't able to help them.  Please no flames, I do not mean this to
denigrate any of the fabulous hospital based IBCLC's on this list.  I AM
talking about the 'LCs' that are not IBCLC qualified but the hospital or
clinic is passing them off as such, to unwary consumers.  And yes, I see it
happening right here in my neck of the woods.

Robyn Roche-Paull
IBCLC, RLC, BS-MCH:LC

Tidewater Lactation Group, Inc.
757-642-4518
www.tidewaterlactationgroup.com
"Your Complete Source for Breastfeeding Support"