Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 14:35:03 +1100
7bit
From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
When teaching anyone about breastfeeding it really is important to avoid
'benefit' or 'advantage' based messages.  In fact there are no benefits to
breastfeeding, only risks associated with artificial feeding.  To get around
this when speaking to audiences for whom bottle feeding is (culturally)
normal or expected, I use a 'breastfeeding is important because' kind of
message.  So instead of a watch signifying that breastfeeding saves time
(which implies that bottle feeding is the normal way to feed but
breastfeeding is the new, you beaut, time saving way of feeding babies) I
would say, Breastfeeding is important because babies need to spend a lot of
time with their mothers.  Mothers who bottle feed have some of that time
stolen away because they need to use it to prepare feeds/ wash and sterilise
bottles.  Instead of breastfeeding prevents illness (which implies that
normal babies get illnesses but babies fed the you beaut new milk get a bit
of a bonus), I would say, Breastfeeding is important because it protects
babies from illness.  When they are not breastfed, babies can get very sick.
Not only does infant formula not protect babies from illness, it actually
makes their bodies more susceptable to nasty bugs.
If we want this next generation to understand that breastfeeding is
important, if we want them to understand that artificial feeding is a risky
behaviour, rather than a lifestyle choice, we need to abandon all talk of
advantages or benefits of breastfeeding.  These messages actually mislead
mothers by failing to convey the gravity of first feeding behaviours.  For a
fuller discussion, look at ... Berry, N & K Gribble, Breast is no longer
best: promoting normal
infant feeding, Maternal and Child Nutrition: 4, pp. 74-79
Regards
Nina Berry
Australia