From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:37:12 -0600
Hi Cindy
My main advice would be for baby to be kept physically close to mother,
whether in bed or in a side car arrangement, so mother can bf whenever baby
cues.
I would also want to find out if mother is indeed feeding ad lib during the
day. The 4-5x may not be enough, is she restricting baby or giving pacifier?
Also, what solids and how offered? For example, is baby getting 3 "big"
meals each day, or just offered some food after ad lib breastfeeding?
What I try to discuss with mothers is that babies do not know or care
whether it is day or night, they need/want mother and it is important to
respond. There will usually be much more stress for mother and baby if she
is trying to figure out ways to avoid feeding, then if she just goes with
the flow.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA