Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 22:22:40 -0500
Since Jaye started it...

I was at my daughter's (miserable) basketball game this morning. Successfully avoided a mother I helped with breastfeeding about 6 years ago (she is a mean person) and stood next to another mother. She looked so familiar. Her elder son is also on the team.

We got to chatting about this and that, and I asked her what her son's name was. She pointed him out, and we realized we had friends in common. I mentioned, "You look SO famliar! I just can't place you." She asked where we lived, wrong school. She wasn't any of my childrens' former teacher. I asked, "Did you nurse your baby, by any chance?" (they were spot on well-connected, and just seemed like an outgrowth of a breastfeeding relationship.)

Yes, I did! He just weaned not too long ago (he's 4!)

Really? Maybe that's where? I'm a LLL Leader in Marietta?

She dropped her things, and grabbed me up for a hug!

We had met, 4 years ago, when she was going through a miserable time in her life. Her baby was having difficulty nursing, and I dropped by her house for a visit. Made her tea, and we sat on the floor while she worked with her baby. When I left, the baby was nursing more comfortably.

They went on to a lovely breastfeeding time, she was able to turn up her nose at all of the "advice" well meaning friends/family gave her, and she is so bonded to her boys. Her older son is a doll, and is so concerned with his brother's well-being.

It was just what I needed!

Best wishes,
Sam Doak