From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:00:35 -0400
Dear all:

I'm glad I waited a while to post about the DHA controversy.  It immediately sets me on
edge because for years a videotape was floating around the center where I do classes
and support groups that was a slick piece of marketing about "deficiencies" and then how
the miracle "supplement" would ensure your baby's brain development.  It could be
readily debunked by someone with an epidemiology background, but the brain chemist
that had not really thought beyond the chemical into what happens in real live human
beings made one childbirth educator proclaim it excellent.  Fortunately, the video has
disappeared and Cornucopia gave more evidence to send to the childbirth educators about
this particular manufactured supplement.

I think that Jane Heinig was right when she presented a talk at ILCA that there are not
DEFICIENCIES in DHA. What we are dealing with is an IMBALANCE in the foods we eat.

If we speak about the IMBALANCE in the foods we eat and focus on FOODS rather than
supplements, I think it would serve our clients better than talking about DEFICIENCIES.
Moreover, anytime we talk about improving diets, it should not be focused on the baby,
but on the long term health of everyone concerned.  Whenever I am asked about bone
density and calcium, I point out that the research actually shows mothers who do not
breastfeed have lower bone densities after the infant feeding period than mothers who
breastfeed.  So, the issue of calcium and vitamin D and how to get those from foods and
sunlight is one that you can start in lactation because you are thinking about your baby
but it is important to continue for your overall health for a lifetime.

Best, Susan