Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:00:35 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear all:

I'm glad I waited a while to post about the DHA controversy.  It immediately sets me on 
edge because for years a videotape was floating around the center where I do classes 
and support groups that was a slick piece of marketing about "deficiencies" and then how 
the miracle "supplement" would ensure your baby's brain development.  It could be 
readily debunked by someone with an epidemiology background, but the brain chemist 
that had not really thought beyond the chemical into what happens in real live human 
beings made one childbirth educator proclaim it excellent.  Fortunately, the video has 
disappeared and Cornucopia gave more evidence to send to the childbirth educators about 
this particular manufactured supplement.

I think that Jane Heinig was right when she presented a talk at ILCA that there are not 
DEFICIENCIES in DHA. What we are dealing with is an IMBALANCE in the foods we eat.

If we speak about the IMBALANCE in the foods we eat and focus on FOODS rather than 
supplements, I think it would serve our clients better than talking about DEFICIENCIES.  
Moreover, anytime we talk about improving diets, it should not be focused on the baby, 
but on the long term health of everyone concerned.  Whenever I am asked about bone 
density and calcium, I point out that the research actually shows mothers who do not 
breastfeed have lower bone densities after the infant feeding period than mothers who 
breastfeed.  So, the issue of calcium and vitamin D and how to get those from foods and 
sunlight is one that you can start in lactation because you are thinking about your baby 
but it is important to continue for your overall health for a lifetime.

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2