Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:36:48 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
new e-mail address:  [log in to unmask], thanks> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:00:32 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 3 Dec 2008 (#2008-146)> To: [log in to unmask]> > There are 6 messages totalling 302 lines in this issue.> > Topics of the day:> > 1. languages> 2. LACTNET Digest - 3 Dec 2008 - Special issue (#2008-145)> 3. formula question (2)> 4. New rule?> 5. "sling" for very large breasts> > Lactnet Archives are at:> LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html> To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:> http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html> > Thanks- Kathleen Bruce, Kathy Koch, Rachel Myr,> Karleen Gribble, Linda Pohl, LACTNET Facilitators> > Questions to [log in to unmask]> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:25:56 -0500> From: Sam <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: languages> > A fellow student continually referred to "colostrum" as "clostridium." I> finally couldn't stand it anymore and offered her the correct pronunciation.> She wouldn't take my word for it, I had to get a book out and show her both> spellings.> > Now if someone could please tell my instructors that larynx/pharynx are> pronounced lar-inx/phar-inx, not lar-nix/phar-nix, I would quit cringing> whenever the subject comes up...> > Best wishes from the language police,> Sam Doak> Marietta OH> Who also refers to "early milk" and "increasing quantities" instead of "milk> coming in"> > We're going to Candy Mountain, Charlie!> > <<> > Dear Norma and all,> > About languages and cultures - do other languages (other than English) > use the Latin words 'colostrum' and 'areola'? It seems very odd to me > that we use a foreign, dead language to describe our own living bodies!> > The old English word for colostrum is 'beestings' - it occurs in an > old text where they discuss the payment and perks for each job on an > Anglo-Saxon estate: the cow-herd gets the beestings of a cow that has > just given birth. I wonder what they did with it - obviously it was a > priviledge and highly valued. I don't think we could use 'beestings' > instead of 'colostrum' now, it is too ancient and forgotten (and > sounds like being stung by a bee!) I like to call it 'early milk' or > 'first milk' to avoid that business where the parents think there is > 'no milk until day 3'.> > In English, 'colostrum' sounds like 'cholesterol' and parents often > mix these words up. Cholesterol of course is a 'bad thing' so that's > another reason to avoid this foreign word.> > I like to tell mothers that the sun also has an areola :) (Or just > call it the dark ring around the nipple.)> > What are the words in other languages?> > Rachel> Rachel O'Leary, Cambridge UK> >>> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:29:11 -0300> From: Veronica Garea <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: LACTNET Digest - 3 Dec 2008 - Special issue (#2008-145)> > In Spanish we say "calostro" and "areola" but then Spanish is a romance> language derived from Latin...> > Veronica> > 7. languages> > 8. a> > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:22:32 +0000> > From: Rachel O'Leary <[log in to unmask]>> > Subject: languages> >> > Dear Norma and all,> >> > About languages and cultures - do other languages (other than English)> > use the Latin words 'colostrum' and 'areola'? It seems very odd to me> > that we use a foreign, dead language to describe our own living bodies!> >> > The old English word for colostrum is 'beestings' - it occurs in an> > old text where they discuss the payment and perks for each job on an> > Anglo-Saxon estate: the cow-herd gets the beestings of a cow that has> > just given birth. I wonder what they did with it - obviously it was a> > priviledge and highly valued. I don't think we could use 'beestings'> > instead of 'colostrum' now, it is too ancient and forgotten (and> > sounds like being stung by a bee!) I like to call it 'early milk' or> > 'first milk' to avoid that business where the parents think there is> > 'no milk until day 3'.> >> > In English, 'colostrum' sounds like 'cholesterol' and parents often> > mix these words up. Cholesterol of course is a 'bad thing' so that's> > another reason to avoid this foreign word.> >> > I like to tell mothers that the sun also has an areola :) (Or just> > call it the dark ring around the nipple.)> >> > What are the words in other languages?> >> > Rachel> > Rachel O'Leary, Cambridge UK> >> >> > > --=20> Ver=F3nica Garea> GALM Bariloche> IBFAN Bariloche - LLL Argentina> "In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process> never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own> responsibility. /> En =FAltima instancia, le damos forma a nuestra vida y a nosotros mismos. E=> l> proceso no termina hasta que morimos. Y las elecciones que hacemos son en> definitiva nuestra responsabilidad."> Eleanor Roosevelt> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 02:19:14 +0000> From: jane Ciaramella <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: formula question> > Does it also mean money to sponsor programs must stop?> Jane Ciaramella> > > ----- Original Message -----> From: Pat Young > Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:05 am> Subject: formula question> To: [log in to unmask]> > > Under the new US pharma rules gifts from reps to HCPs (health > > care providers-individuals) must stop Jan 1. Does this also > > mean gifts of formula to hospitals must also stop???????? I hope > > :-) Pat in SNJ> > > > ***********************************************> > > > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> > To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> > Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> > COMMANDS:> > 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an > > email: set lactnet nomail> > 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> > 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> > 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get > > lactnet welcome> > > > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:06:43 -0500> From: Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: formula question> > I think "educational events" (ie: dinners) will continue. :-( Pat in SNJ> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:16:49 -0500> From: Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: New rule?> > PhRMA is a pharmacy industry watch dog of their own devising so Feds => wouldn't step in. Pharmaceuticals Research & Manufacturers of America. => Goggle it- you'll find plenty. Pat in SNJ> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:28:08 -0500> From: Phyllis Adamson IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>> Subject: Re: "sling" for very large breasts> > Years ago, when I was an LLLL, we used to teach moms to make these from a man's t-shirt.> > Lay it out flat and cut the top part off, side to side, at the underarm seams, leaving a wide tube.> Fold cut edge down to the hem.> Grasp the new fold and fold that down to the hem.> You now have a 4-layer circle of cotton knit fabric that is 4" to 5" wide. > You can pin, then sew the edges to make them stay, or use an iron-on webbing to stick them together.> Cut once across the width to make a long folded strip.> Loop the strip under the breast and tie the ends behind mom's neck, adjusting for gentle lift and comfort. This is NOT a bra substitute, just a stablilzer with enough 'lift' so mom can use her arms instead of just her hands to bring babe to breast. It should cover from her ribs almost to the areola - baby needs access to that.> Slip it off one breast and under the other for continued feeding.> And it's washable!> With luck, Dad will never miss it!! :-}> HTH:> Phyllis> > ---- giadaeli <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > > =============> Hi all.> Sometime ago, I saw here an article I never saw before .. a sort of > /sling /for very large breasts.> unfortunately I am not able to find the link in my Lactnet archives.> If someone remember of it, can pls send me the weblink?> Many many thanks> Martina Carabetta> IBCLC> Rome, Italy> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > --> Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC> Glendale, AZ.> [log in to unmask]> > ***********************************************> > Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]> COMMANDS:> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome> > ------------------------------> > End of LACTNET Digest - 3 Dec 2008 (#2008-146)> **********************************************

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2