From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:15:50 -0400

Hello!

I wasn't going to chime in because my experience isn't "finished" yet (I'm
currently tandem nursing baby #3 with older brother) but now that the
discussion has moved to child spacing as a factor, I'll share my own
experience:

Baby #1 (girl): 44 months (tandem nursed with baby #2 for 23 months)
Baby #2 (boy) still nursing at 42 months, no signs of stopping, EVER! (OK,
OK, I thought this about my 1st and one day she just announced she was
done...)

The spacing between the first two children was 21-1/2 months (less than 2
years).  More than half of my daughter's breastfeeding experience was as
tandem nursing (breastfeeding siblings, not necessarily at the same moment).

Baby #3 (girl) was born when my son was 38-1/2 months old.  While I did hope
that he might wean during my pregnancy (and this was part of the motivation
for this longer spacing), he was unfazed by the dry months and is rather
obsessed with my breasts (speaking of them as if they are separate entities
from me, like "I love the uns so much...and I love you too, mamma.").

It bears mentioning, as well, that both of my older two "forgot" how to
"drink" the milk...even though I have a very plentiful supply for my baby,
my pre-schooler rarely swallows while he's nursing -- and the sensation of
him at my breast is very disconcerting for me.  I ask him if he's "drinking"
any milk and it's obvious that he has to really concentrate to get any.  If
I offer him a very full breast, he swallows but the rest of the time, he's
just sort of "swishing" the nipple around in his mouth.  It was the same
with my daughter -- when her brother was born, she was definitely "feeding"
at the breast but around the time she turned 3-1/2, I doubt she was
transferring much milk.

This raises the question for me about older nurslings, do other mothers
experience what I do with this "forgetfulness?"

--Diana in NY