From:
Mary Wagner-Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:48:42 -0800
<Would greatly appreciate some advice for mom of a 9 month old who is still
waking up 3 times each night.
Baby breastfeeds 4-5x/day and gets solids 3x/day.  Baby is sleeping in a
crib in her own room.  Mom tries
not to feed baby each time she wakes.  Breastfeeds 1+ x/night.  Baby is in
90th% for weight, height, head size.
Mom is exhausted and despairing !!

Thank you.
Cindy Simone, BA, IBCLC>

How about working with mom on how she gets back to sleep?  I find that this
is frequently more a problem than the baby's awakening.  With all the
developmental changes of a 9 month old, I'm not surprised she's awakening.
I'm also not surprised mom is tired.   I second the co-sleeping suggestion.
I also highly advocate naps, for anyone with children.  With 3 teens at
home, I've learned that sleep when the baby sleeps translates to sleep when
the children sleep.  If baby is right next to her and mom works on her
ability to readily fall back to sleep, she won't be so tired.  Sometimes our
struggle to demand a full night's sleep (whatever that means) causes us more
sleeplessness than giving over to the rhythms (hmmm, kind of like birth and
breastfeeding, huh).

Is it possible there's something environmental that's waking baby up?  The
Sears used to have a good checklist in one of their books, The Fussy Baby I
think.  It may now be on their web site.

If mom is desperate, feeling like she can't parent/cope, she might take a
look at The No Cry Sleep Solution.  I find it helps parents develop a plan
when their brains no longer work due to sleep deprivation.

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC
Roseville, CA