From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:28:37 -0500
Dear all:

There is nothing any health care practitioner has ever done that has created an enduring
sense of violation than the breast surgeon who did a biopsy on my fibroadenoma and
removed it by going in around the areola, rather than directly.  She did not ask how I
wanted the surgery done, nor did she ever inform me that she would go in around the
areola.  I was so stunned after the surgery was done to see what she had done, that I
was rendered speechless.

Later when I was pregnant with my son, I received a lot of wimply probably won't affect
the milk supply from other health care practitioners.  The only person who really was
honest was the surgeon who operated on the same area again when I had another
fibroadenoma.  He went in from the side and honestly told me that there was no
guarantee that I would be able to make milk from that side because of the first surgery,
but that I had another breast and I should certainly try.

Since I nursed my son African-style --- anywhere and everywhere and probably more
than 12 times a day --- there was no lack of breast stimulation and drainage.  The one
side that had the surgery made at most, 1 oz at its peak.  Fortunately, I, like most but
not all women, had two breasts.

So, before saying everything will be just fine --- we must all keep in mind that how the
surgery was done might make a huge difference.  Had I not been told by the second
surgeon that the one breast might not produce as much as the other, I would have been
even more pissed off at breast surgeons.  He restored my trust in some of his profession
by being honest.  I always tell mothers to go into the process optimistically and get help
early if there are signs of low supply.

The most devastating cases I have ever had to take are those when mothers have had
some form of breast surgery and were told that "Of course, you'll make enough milk" and
were not able to do so.  There is nothing harder than having a mind set on 100% and
then having to convince that woman that it is marvelous that she has managed to do 70%
if she had her heart set on 100%.

Best Susan Burger