Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:28:37 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
Dear all:

There is nothing any health care practitioner has ever done that has created an enduring 
sense of violation than the breast surgeon who did a biopsy on my fibroadenoma and 
removed it by going in around the areola, rather than directly.  She did not ask how I 
wanted the surgery done, nor did she ever inform me that she would go in around the 
areola.  I was so stunned after the surgery was done to see what she had done, that I 
was rendered speechless.

Later when I was pregnant with my son, I received a lot of wimply probably won't affect 
the milk supply from other health care practitioners.  The only person who really was 
honest was the surgeon who operated on the same area again when I had another 
fibroadenoma.  He went in from the side and honestly told me that there was no 
guarantee that I would be able to make milk from that side because of the first surgery, 
but that I had another breast and I should certainly try.

Since I nursed my son African-style --- anywhere and everywhere and probably more 
than 12 times a day --- there was no lack of breast stimulation and drainage.  The one 
side that had the surgery made at most, 1 oz at its peak.  Fortunately, I, like most but 
not all women, had two breasts. 

So, before saying everything will be just fine --- we must all keep in mind that how the 
surgery was done might make a huge difference.  Had I not been told by the second 
surgeon that the one breast might not produce as much as the other, I would have been 
even more pissed off at breast surgeons.  He restored my trust in some of his profession 
by being honest.  I always tell mothers to go into the process optimistically and get help 
early if there are signs of low supply.

The most devastating cases I have ever had to take are those when mothers have had 
some form of breast surgery and were told that "Of course, you'll make enough milk" and 
were not able to do so.  There is nothing harder than having a mind set on 100% and 
then having to convince that woman that it is marvelous that she has managed to do 70% 
if she had her heart set on 100%.  

Best Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2