From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:16:11 +0100
Hello Nikki,

Within the VBN, we have several information leaflets for HCP's, one of which
is about alcohol and breastfeeding.
These are the (English) literature references stated at the end of the text
(the Dutch ones, I leave out):
3. American Academy of Pediatrics committee on Drugs, Transfer of drugs and
other chemicals into human milk, Pediatrics Vol. 108 No. 3, September 2001.

4. Mennella JA, Short-term effects of maternal alcohol consumption on
lactational performance, Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1998 Oct;22(7):1389-92.

5. Mennella JA, Regulation of milk intake after exposure to alcohol in
mothers milk, Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001 Apr;25(4):590-3.

6. Little R et al., Maternal alcohol use during breastfeeding and infant
mental and motor development at one year, New Engl. J Med 1989; 321:425-30.

7. Little R, Northstone K, Golding J, ALSPAC Study Team, Alcohol,
breastfeeding and development at 18 months, Pediatrics. 2002
May;109(5):E72-2.

Unfortunately, I do not have links to the original studies, but maybe you
can find something with the help of these titles...?
Looking at the titles, you probably will benefit most from 6. and 7., as the
others seem to be more on alcohol entering the milk.

Good luck!

Regards,

Marianne Vanderveen,
VBN-volunteer and hoping to pass the IBCLC-exam next year