From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2008 19:03:43 +0100
I fully agree.
We are having a big discussion in the Netherlands, where swaddling is also
involved.
Many 'settling techniques' to me are like 'disciplining techniques', which
are certainly undesirable in young babies, that only need reassurance and
human interaction in the vicinity of a well-meaning, sensitive caretaker. I
really hate the way the message is often brought here: it becomes a fight
over power, over who's in charge. In line with my earlier post this week:
child raising should be more about children, especially when they are só
young, and not about how to fit them into their parents lives a.s.a.p., so
that that can go in exactly the same way as before the infant was born.
Sorry, if I sound ranting, because a few clips I sam from the video were
really nice, but I'm spending so much energy here on preventing this
silencing-advice to become more widely spread than it already is, that I may
show an allergic response to dummies and swaddling cloths... ;o)

Kindly,

Marianne Vanderveen, Netherlands