From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 01:05:22 -0600
You are correct, baby's blood glucose may be low due to having excess
insulin production, due to your GD condition. In my experience, a maternal
diagnosis of GD will automatically trigger certain nursery protocols, namely
blood sugar testing at certain intervals in the early hours after the birth.
I suggest a few things: read the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine protocols
for hypoglycemia and discuss with the baby's doctor, keep baby skin to skin
continous, early breastfeeding of course, express and feed if baby does not
initiate for some reason, express colostrum after completing 37-38 wks of
pregnancy, if possible, so you have it to carry to hospital with you (in a
small cooler) in case needed. The most important thing is to communicate
with the pediatrician and nursery personnel what your wishes are, Of course,
let your labor helpers know too, but peds and nursery are going to be the
ones suggesting formula, if anyone would.
I would not anticipate that you will have any delays in lactogenesis 2.
Your risk for future diabetes will actually be *higher* in the future. Keep
this in mind so that your own health care provider knows and your future
doctors or midwives during a subsequent pregnancy. My understanding is that
the best defense against future diabetes (this is not 100% guarantee, of
course) is a healthy diet and maintenance of ideal weight.
The "baby's* risk of future diabetes is decreased with exclusive bf.