From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:19:11 +0200
Winnie, you are absolutely right.  Indeed the tragic cases that make the
headlines are women suffering from psychosis.  But unfortunately, even
psychosis can start as a long period of depression and the woman`s family or
even her caregivers say "it`s ONLY postnatal depression, she`ll snap out of
it soon."
When I was researching for my book, there were fairly clear definitions in
all of the literature.   An average of 80% of women experience the "blues"
not necessarily three day but limited to a few hours/days/not more than
three weeks with mood swings, anxiety, lack of confidence.  Interestingly it
was shown by Dr. Ulla Waldenstrom of Sweden (J. Psychosomatic Ob/Gyn JApril
1988) that the peak of the "blues" could be seen on the day of discharge
from the hospital.  Across the cultures this could be two or three days
after the birth, five days after a Cesarean birth and in Russia at that time
it was two weeks.
This shows that although it is logical that there is a huge hormonal change
soon after the birth it is actually the homecoming with its chaos and
concerns that is a more significant trigger.  It was therefore logical that
cases were less severe and lasted a shorter period  where there was a loving
family to put flowers on the table, clean sheets on the beds, leave a big
pot of soup - and then go home and leave the new parents to settle down with
the baby on that first day, with reassurance that at the ring of the
telephone they will return to mother the mother.
The depression that continues more than this limited period was found to be
between 12% and 16% but psychosis was estimated at the conference I
mentioned at about one in 500.
In my prenatal courses, couples often express concerns about the more severe
forms of psychosis and depression and it is important to talk about
definitions, prevention and treatment.
Wendy Blumfield