From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:22:23 +0200
Hello Daniela!

I hope the problem will solve on its own. Since the baby is happy and
thriving there seems no need to rush things.

In your post you told about the mothers elimination diet (which did not
work). I am writing only to tell that babies can get symptoms also from
foods that usually are well tolerated. In my own case 8,5 years ago, my
daughter was allergic to potatoes and carrots and got symptoms if I ate
them. I could not eat chicken or beef also (she was allergic to egg and
dairy). I and she mostly ate rice, pork, broccoli, corn, gluten-free bread,
olive oil, sugar and salt. I could gradually expand my diet and hers after
the first year. She had severe allergies and pancreas insufficiensy, her
pancreas does not excrete pancreatic enzymes almost at all. She can now eat
quite freely at 9 years old, she has celiac disease although. I have friends
who have breastfed severely allergic babies and could ate only quinoa and
lamb and the other rice and reindeer + some vegetables besides sugar and
salt and some food oil. I know one mother whose son was so allergic that he
could not eat any solid food at 1 year of age and his mother had to use a
rotation diet for her to keep him symptom-free. We all breastfed our
children years and they all got better during second and third year.

So if the baby has severy allergies, he / she could be allergic to almost
anything the mother eats.

Warmly,
Pia Ruohotie, RN and breastfeeding counsellor
From Helsinki, Finland, Europe