Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:31:17 +0000
Hi, Lactnetters,

Thank you so much for the recent discussion on tongue-tie!  My youngest grandson is 11 months old and was born with an obvious tt.  He arrived in an unmedicated water birth and when my dear daughter went to get out of the tub I held him and immediately saw the tt.  I showed her midwife who said "oh, it won't be a problem."  I gave her 'the look' and she did say "well, I guess that's your field".

I would have pushed harder to get it clipped except I did not know any practioners I trusted to do it.  My dd worked so hard in the first months with his latch.  Fortunately, she had overactive milk supply with forceful let-downs.  Baby really struggled with it, but it also insured he got lots of milk despite a less than ideal ability to extract milk.  We did a few things to help with the oversupply but weren't real agressive recognizing that it was insuring baby got enough milk despite his suck 'handicap'. She went through long-term sore nipples (not horrible due to her careful work on his latch but persistent), a baby who wasn't comforted at the breast (way too much work for him to find comforting).  The couple of times I brought up having the tt evaluated and finding someone to do it, she wasn't interested.

Suddenly two weeks ago she brings it up (we live only a few miles apart) and asks me to help her find someone.  I asked what her concerns were at this point and she said she was concerned about speech.  Baby's frenulum had stretched quite a bit and he could now extend it just over his bottom jaw and the sore nipples.  I just thought about upsetting him!  The following day the posts began sharing experiences with tt and the choking connection was a surprise to me.  Baby seemed interested in food--but consistently choked on everything (even teething toys) and never ate enough food to affect his BMs.  Duh.  But dd and I had not made the connection.

We are so lucky in the Seattle area to have Maryann O'Hara, MD open a breastfeeding clinic!  My dd and grandson asked me along to the appointment yesterday.  I was going to take pics but, as usual, got so busy supporting the mother (my dd!) that I didn't.  Maryann felt his tt was significant and recommended it be clipped.  My dd agreed fully.  She asked that I hold him for the brief procedure and she left the area (she falls apart with immunizations!) and then she would come in and rescue him.

Maryann was so gentle.  Baby complained a bit but did not become distressed.  He sure gave Maryann a run for her money with his lovely strong jaws and shiny new teeth.  She was able to clip the very fibrous string at the front and about 4 mil.. Very little bleeding!! and baby was sitting up and playing with his 'new' tongue in seconds.  Mama popped in and offered the breast but he wasn't interested as he was busy rolling his tongue around and sticking it way out!  I wish I had gotten pics of his expression! By the time we left Maryann's office he was sticking his tongue out and grabbing it with his hand!  It was amazing to see and do I wish we had a video tape of it all!

Last night my dd called and said baby had had two 'throw-ups' after nursing.  Contents were all bmilk and baby wasn't distressed except for his mama mopping him up.  We are thinking it may be the change in his suck and the amount of milk he is probably suddenly getting. I'll be checking in with her today.  Dd and I are anxious to see how his suck changes---

So thanks all who shared their experiences and expertise!  Maryann gave us a great 'handout' on tt which dd will be sharing with her midwife and pediatrician (who also didn't think it was a big deal).  The best part for me as a mother is watching the wonderful job my dd has done in nursing her two children and doing what she knew was best despite all the challenges in nursing a tt baby.  She is awesome!

Michele Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA, LLLL
Marysville Washington