From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:41:09 -0400
Sorry, I posted before I saw the correction dropping not one but two zeros from the dose of
vitamin D.  Thanks for the reference.  I'm going to read it with interest.  The first thought
that comes to mind if the studies were done in Saudi Arabia is whether or not the babies
were wrapped.  If the babies were not wrapped as much as moms, they may be getting far
more sunlight (the most natural form of vitamin D) than their counterparts in other regions
of the world where pollution, lattitude, and fear of skin cancer may restrict their access to
sunlight.  So, it may not be possible to extrapolate from a vitamin D deficient mother who
is supplemented and feeding a baby who is exposed to sunlight to a vitamin D deficient
mother who is supplemented and feeding a baby who is not exposed to sunlight.

Best, Susan Burger.