From:
Fogelmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:15:51 +0200
Hello Wise Friends,
Please advise.  I am working with a baby with an obvious tongue tie.  When I saw him at day 2 and a half, his diapers were dry and he sucked 4 or more times for every swallow.  Despite breastfeeding on and off for the whole 3 hour consult, he was clearly not satisfied.  I explained to the mother about the baby's tongue.  The baby sucked well on a finger (no liquid) but doesn't laterlize well and tongue lies flat when he cries. He gapes nicely when brought to the breast but not while nursing.  He seems unable latch on to the wide part of an Avent nipple also.  Despite optimized positioning, mother's nipples come out slightly compressed but she reports feeling no pain and there is no visible damage. Mom called back later to report that her milk came in and baby began to eat half an hour at a time, sleep well for a few hours in between feeds and poop and pee.  The mother feels that everything is OK.  I explained to her why things may be fine now but not in another few weeks.  She would rather not clip if she doesn't have to. The grandmother, a speech pathologist, is encouraging her to get the frenulum clipped.  Our question is, how urgent is it that she clip and how soon?  The baby's brit (ritual circumcision) is this week and the mother would like to put time in between the two procedures.  (the brit by the way can not be rescheduled.)
Thanks so much,
Chayn IBCLC Israel