From:
"Wolf, Jackie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:11:29 -0500
Hi Nina,

Yes, I am that Jacqueline Wolf. I'm really happy that you've found my
work helpful.

I agree with you completely that urging mothers to breastfeed without
also providing them with the means necessary to do so is unconscionable.
Mothers are not able to breastfeed for many reasons, including lack of
societal support.

Eye-catching public health messages, however, are designed to fire up at
the entire community. If the "babies were born to be breastfed" ads had
been aired in the U.S. as thoroughly as the "friends don't let friends
drive drunk" series of ads (which similarly provided NO accompanying
means to treat alcoholism) we would have seen a national discussion of
the importance of breastfeeding and ways to mitigate blockades to
breastfeeding. After all, in the wake of the "driving drunk" ads we
almost immediately heard discussions of ways to eliminate drunk driving.
Similarly, in the wake of the breastfeeding awareness campaign we would
have seen talk shows and magazine articles asking incessantly, "So why
aren't more mothers breastfeeding? What are the impediments? What can we
do to eliminate those impediments?"

Public health campaigns are meant to arouse enough interest to move
people to demand the resources necessary to change behavior en masse.
The formula industry vigorously fought the airing of those ads precisely
because they feared the ads would have prompted enormous change in the
way Americans view breastfeeding and formula feeding, so much so that we
would have fought for the resources to allow mothers to fully breastfeed
if that was their desire.

What I fear, given the criticism of the breastfeeding awareness campaign
emanating from the breastfeeding community, is that the formula industry
has a far better understanding of what moves the public to change
unhealthy behaviors than the breastfeeding community does.

Jackie