From:
Leslie Cree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 07:44:17 -0500
To Linda,
I dont' think your question was inappropriate, nor does it reflect badly on you.
I think that for many of us, we have a divided personality on the subject of
bottles and nipples (teats) being advertised by Medela. I did not use anything
but my own boobies to feed my babies (ok and toddlers and preschoolers) but
I also talk to new moms every day who are not as fortunate as I was to be
able to stay home with my very young children. For those planning to pump,
they take great pride in being able to continue to provide their milk for their
baby, and by dissing bottles LCs can come off sounding judgmental. Moms
suffer enough guilt just leaving their infants with others while they go to work.
I take a matter-of-fact approach when talking about alternate feeding with
moms, but most of the time the default is the bottle. Mothers have a hard
enough time with day-care providers who are squeamish and ignorant that it is
mother's milk in the bottles, can you imagine if they asked the babysitter to
cup feed? We are taking baby steps here (sorry for the bad pun) in making
mother's own milk, and breastfeeding the cultural norm. So, don't feel bad for
being impaled on the fence--I am there with you!  For the record--I do not
like seeing babies get bottles and especially dislike seeing babies plugged up
with pacifiers--but they aren't mine to raise so I take a deep breath and smile
at the mom and baby. I also don't know her personal struggles...
Kindly,
Leslie Cree IBCLC