From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:03:45 +0000
Interesting discussions about the provision of free formula in the
WIC system in the US and Healthy Start in the UK.

I have to say that I loathe the idea of any mother anywhere being
helped to formula-feed her baby unless it is for a case of real
medical need - ie she doesn't lactate.  I find it really hard to
understand how when a mother chooses not to breastfeed it should
follow that the government "let" her baby starve.  What happened to
the mother's responsibility to feed her child?  More importantly,
what happened to the duty of care that a government has to enact a
health policy designed to protect public' health, including to
ensure, as far as possible, that a mother receives every assistance
to breastfeed.    When we promote choice it can only be ethical if we
do it from a balanced state of ignorance - which, based on the
evidence that (with incredibly few exceptions) formula-feeding leads
to poorer health outcomes, is no longer possible, if it ever was. .

But my special bug-bear is that free formula is so well accepted as
an entitlement of low-income mothers that the precedent has been
exported to developing countries where potentially a million
HIV-infected mothers annually are also encouraged to "choose" not to
breastfeed, and many HIV-prevention programmes provide them with free
formula to support their decision.  Free formula was first provided
to HIV+ mothers in Africa in 1998.  The consequences may never be
known because there was no mechanism set up to record the
results.  But, in areas where all the other things that are needed to
make formula-feeding relatively safe are simply not available, eg  66
kg of accessible powdered formula over 2 years, clean piped water,
fuel to boil it, a certain level of education to appreciate the
importance of hygiene, living conditions where hygiene is even
possible, feeding paraphernalia, access to clinics, doctors,
hospitals, antibiotics to treat the increased number of infections of
formula-fed babies, it should not have been too hard to imagine.  In
Botswana, where the free-formula-for-HIV+-mothers concept has been
incorporated into national policy, there has been a very serious
undermining of breastfeeding; in 1999 a national survey showed that
95% of mothers breastfed their babies. By 2006, only 63% of mothers
initiated breastfeeding.  Included in the 36% who didn't were 15% of
mothers who were not infected with HIV.  This is very serious
spillover to have occurred in a mere 8 years. Results finally coming
from research sites in the last 18 months show vastly increased rates
of malnutrition, increased morbidity, elevated rates of infant and
young child mortality in a continent where the IMR is already
186/1000 (vs 6/1000 in the industrialized countries).  Furthermore,
it transpires that the formula itself accounted for 25-60% of entire
programme budgets.  A recent paper reporting on formula-feeding in
Malawi, Tanzania and Mozambique found that the cost was the same as
providing HIV+ mothers with highly active antiretroviral therapy, so
the researchers embarked on a second trial to encourage exclusive
breastfeeding and HAART for the mothers instead.  They found that
cumulative HIV-transmission rates to the breastfed babies were not a
lot higher than those in industrialized countries (2.2% vs >2%) where
HIV-exposed babies are always formula-fed, and were in fact lower
than the formula-fed cohort in the study (2.7%). The way forward
seems clear.

It may seem strange to think that domestic policy in the rich
countries can have such a worldwide impact, but it is so.  It's not
only that we live in a global village.  It's that the rest of the
world is hugely influenced by what happens in the US and Europe.  Any
rationalization of the free-formula handouts by WIC and Healthy Start
will eventually result in the saving of lives in little African
homes, where the cost of formula is not zero.

Please keep up the good work

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England (formerly Zimbabwe)