From:
Eva Bild <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:11:12 -0800
Hello Wise Women,

I got a call today from a woman who wanted to know if her taking
Domperidone could be causing her baby's bowels to be "sluggish".  As I
did not know, I got her permission to post this questions.

Her baby is 18 days old.  He had a traumatic birth which caused his
bilirubin level to go up quite hight and he spent a few days under
bili-lights.  Hi mother has a history of PCOS and had an insufficient
milk supply while nursing her first child, so although she seemed to
have enough milk last week, she went on Domperidone on Thursday.  Over
the weekend, the bay went from pooping 5-6 times per day to pooping only
once in 24 hours - although it was large and bright yellow.  The baby is
going to the breast more than 10 times per day and being supplemented
with a couple of oucnes of ebm by bottle 6 times or more pre day.  The
mother says he looks alert and happy and eager to feed.

Her concern is that if the baby does not poop her may reabsorb bilirubin
from his stool.

I have not heard that Domperidone slows intestinal transit.  I thought
its purpose was to increase motility!  I also thought that bilirubin was
not present in breastmilk stool, but only in meconium.  So if the baby
is gaining weight and happy and nursing well, do we need to worry about
any of this?

The mother has left messages with her doctor and the public health
lactation consultant she is working with, but I actually answered the
phone.  And then I got curious.

What do you think?

Happy New Year to all, by the way!

Eva

Eva Bild, MA, CD (DONA)
Certified Doula, Childbirth Educator, Breastfeeding Counsellor
Mothering Touch Centre
1562 Fort Street
Victoria, BC
250-595-4905