Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:02:05 -0500
This has been a curiosity of mine for years as I have had some large babies.
My third, dd, was 10 lbs at birth and I was an LLLL by then so I just nursed
her along with tantem nursing the previous child.  If the peds in house, had
an opinion, I just ignored it. ;) She lost some weight. VBAC w/ epidural an
hour before birth. Hx of Group B strep (first ds was sepsis) so IV w/
antibiotics from first moment in hospital. The hospital "threatened" heel
sticks, of which I said go ahead cause she's not getting formula. They
backed down. Never left my side as I refused to send her to the nursery for
anything. 39 weeks gestation. This dd turns 13 next week, weighs all of 75
lbs and is just hitting puberty. She gained very well as a baby. The next
baby, ds, was Bradley baby, i.e., no drugs other than "required"
IV/antibiotics. Weighed less than sister, 9lbs 13 oz, left hospital 24hrs
later at 10lb 1oz. Never had formula, or any intervention. Stayed with me
constantly and grew to a very big baby. Tandem nursed. 38 weeks gestation.
He's 10 now and is bigger than his sister at about 90lbs. The next dd was a
trial. 12 lbs at birth (38 weeks gestation, induction tried 2 times without
success), shoulder dystocia, epidural at the last moment (thank goodness or
it would have been a mess). Stayed in nursery with dh until I could get to
her. Thankfully, she was fine, no damage. Nursed exclusively, never having
any supplementation. Lost weight first few days then took 3-4 weeks to
regain. She just turned 9 yesterday, is a slender 65lbs. Next ds was 11lbs,
1 oz.(39 weeks gestation)Three weeks previous MD tried inductions on three
seperate occasions. Didn't work.  Epidural at 6 cm after 12 hours labor and
usual IV/antibiotics from the time entering hospital. . At 8 cm, with an
epidural that wasn't taking on one side, I opted for c/sec having been in
labor 24 hrs. Posterior baby which wasn't turning. Again, nursed from the
get go, never left my side, never got supplements. Lost weight first few
days and took 3-4 weeks to regain to birth weight. He just turned 6 and is
one of the chuckiest of  my children, which I attribute to lack of exercise
here in MI (we moved from VA right before 3 year old was born). No diabetes,
gestational or otherwise, in me or children. Weight gain with each baby,
20-30lbs. The last baby was small, 8lbs 13 oz and we had the worse time with
milk transfer. Mag sulfate, lots of fluids and "emergency" c/sec. Born
preterm at 37 weeks. Lost weight and slow to regain. Took 2 months to get
off of supplementation (donor breast milk of which we only bought a two week
supply and were able to suppl what I was pumping 8x/day). He's 3.5 now, a
slender 30 lbs and really doesn't like solid food-other than chocolate!

For us the difference was the OB(the one deliverying the last was NOT good)
who ran interference in the hospital and the pediatrician was a friend of
ours. She, beyond anyone else, trusted that I knew what I was doing. In
fact, she was able to loosen up about some of her patients who were slow
gainers "thanks" to us. At the time we had a diffuclt time coming up with
references that IV fluids caused an abnormal weight gain before birth. All
the babies were weighed within 24 hours after birth and other than the one
with minimum IV/drugs, all lost alot by then. All were stooling yellow
breastmilk stool and urinated many, many times by day 3-5. So the only
explaination we could come up with was the IV fluids.We co-slept, nursed on
demand (at least 12 times/day although all 7 of my children nursed way more
than that), carried in a sling and basically did nothing but nurse yet we
had weight loss. There has to be a reason other than lack of milk transfer
as the output proved otherwise. I am thankful for having the support of a
good pediatrician at that time and being an experienced LLLL and mother.
Otherwise, I am sure we would have gone the path of supplementation when it
wasn't needed.

~Lorij , LLLL 13 years
In snowy MI
Mom to 7 breastfed children