From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:08:22 EST
Dear Friends:

I have SO enjoyed Cathy Watson Genna's book. Tina Smillie's chapter in that
great book has given birth to an idea that I am putting out to my dearest
LactFriends.

Evidence and clinical practice point to baby-led feeding as the ideal  way to
initiate lactation and start the breastfeeding relationship off to the  best
start.

Lactogenesis III starts about 10 days after Lactogenesis II gets going.
Mature milk is made about 10 days after the milk volume starts to increase, aka
"milk coming in". Again, this is my understanding from the evidence.

Culturally, some mothers resist the notion of baby-led feeding and want to
have mother-led feeding. Was it Adair that found that starting a sleep training
 program didn't interfere with lactation, as long as it was started after the
 baby was 4 months old?

Now for the idea...........what if baby-led feeding should run the  show
until Lactogenesis III gets established, then the mother can start a  mother-led
approach??

Could this be a way to engage those mothers that just can't surrender to
their babies? Let them know that once the baby gets things going, then they can
start to control things a bit more?

What do you all think?
warmly,

Nikki Lee RN,  MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI