From:
Kay McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:26:44 -0700
I faced these kinds of heartless (clueless?) stupid recommendations very frequently when working as an outpatient lc (and to some degree as a mom myself many years ago).  Sorry, Jan, I tried the "clerk at Borders" escape for a while.  I was truly burned out, "retired" for a while, then went to work in a local garden center where nobody "needed" me.  It was a nice break, but I began to miss my babies (plants don't make eye contact) and my paycheck, and am thrilled to be back at it again.

I think burnout is is real issue in our field (as it certainly also is in nursing), and is reflected in the numbers of LCs who don't recert or quit practicing.  A dear friend and colleague (Kitty, are you lurking?) often fussed about how big her hematoma was getting from banging her head up against the wall.  Perhaps ILCA or somesuch should take a good look at burnout as a professional issue??

Kay McKee, BA, IBCLC
Langley Air Force Base Hospital
Virginia, USA