From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 14:38:38 +0100
I'm looking for information about the likely effect of long-term
infant co-trimoxazole prophylaxis on the infant gut.  I've just done
a LACTNET search on co-trimoxazole (Brand names Septrin, Septra,
Bactrim) but haven't found quite what I need.    The drug would be
administered from 6 weeks until 3 months after breastfeeding was
stopped - ie possibly for up to two years.

In your opinion, would this medication be likely to cause loose
stools/diarrhoea, damage to the intestinal mucosa, changes in
intestinal flora, increase the risk of oral or gastrointestinal
thrush and/or increase the risk of nipple thrush in the mother, or
affect lactose absorption (and if so, how?).  Could we expect that
co-trimoxazole would not have any impact on newborn jaundice if it is
not initiated until after 6 weeks?   Have you worked with breastfed
babies who have received co-trimoxazole?   Did you notice any
increased risk of allergy/eczema, loose(r) stools, or anything
else?  Do you know of any research which documents the effects of
antibiotic use on the infant gut?

Many thanks if you can help with any of these questions, or if you
have any other thoughts/any info at all about the effect of this drug
on the breastfed baby.

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
WABA Breastfeeding and HIV Task Force Co-coordinator
Email: [log in to unmask]